any comments??

loviosa

My husband and I are looking at two different TTs. We are first time buyers. We are looking at a 2004 Terry Dakota 830Y and a 2007 Jayco Jay feather LGT. Can anyone give us any suggestions either way? Also everything else being equal should we go newer or will a year or two really make a difference?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Loviosa
Life is an adventure..........live it large!

rjf7g

Re: any comments??

I am not personally familiar with either brand. A lot of folks swear by Jayco, but I have a Gulfstream and am very happy. Welcome to the forum.

C Nash

As to the differnce in the years Loviosa the older could be in better condition than the newer. Just depends on how it had been used or abused. Terry or Jayco are about equal IMO but I am not familiar with either model. Chech both for any kind of leaks. A leak can ruin a rv in no time. what are the prices? Ck with a source such as NADA to get an idea of value. ou can go to NADA online.

campers4u

remember,,,, most dealers will sell you a brand new 09 for the price of a 07-08 used unit at NADA's prices,,,, ( I will )

Grandview Trailer Sa

IMO, Jayco is over rated. They are not what they used to be and are riding off their name. I traded for one last month and after the trade, I found where it had leaked since the day it was made. I found where the factory did not seal it completely. I have fixed it, but some damage done. It still has lots of life in it, but you know.....I have it priced per the condition.

blakec

I have had a Terry in the past and had absolutely no issues what so ever. I sold it when it was 12 years old. Just like anything else, take care of them and they will last. Ad you can see, I went and bought another Fleetwood. Most RVs are all component units anyway, water heater, furnace, AC, refer, axles, etc. Structure (welded aluminum, screwed aluminum or wood) and trim out detail usually are the deciding factors. My Grandfather has had several Jaycos and swears by them. So, a lot of times go with the floor plan you like the best and works the best for you. You can never have enough storage. A check list: for you:
1) Make sure everything works
a) Run the AC
b) Run the refer in all available sources, electric & gas
c) Run the furnance
d) Run the water system with the pump and make sure there are no leaks
e) Light all stove burners and oven
2) Check your tires for uneven ware and sufficient tread
3) Check your stabilization jacks for proper operation
4) If the unit has a slide, make sure that it operates properly, slide it in and out. Check to make sure the seals on the slide unit are in good condition and no cracks or air gaps. Check the middle of the slide unit on the inside top for water damage. Sometimes you will see lamination separation here if there's water issues.
5) Check the roof. Make sure the rubber is in good condition. It should be soft. If there are repairs made, inquire and check inside under the repair.
6) Check all areas including opening all cabinets and storage areas to check for water damage. If you find water damage, RUN!
7) Finally, you can never do enough research to make sure you are getting a fair price. Be ready for the pressure at dealerships, they'll try and say they want to get you in the trailer you love, when what they really want to do is just see a trailer behind your rig when you leave the lot. How else are they going to make money.

Good luck!

:)

TexasClodhopper

Loviosa, Blake's list is a good one, but I would add the most important item to any list:

8. Be prepared to walk away.

rjf7g

I agree with Tex, plus I would add
9. don't be fooled by something that simply looks better than anything else you have seen to this point...

gewe72

Hi,

I found that you get your best deals in used if you go 8-10 years old. Otherwise, you can usually get a new 2009 model for the same or in some cases less than the used trailer. I bought a 3300RLB Sundance Fifth Wheel through rvsaleprices and received an amazing deal Check out www.rvsaleprices.com and you will find some great prices on new Wildwood Travel Trailers and Sundance Travel Trailers.

Happy Camping!!

Gary E

H2H1

come on Gary pay for your ad on here and help the forum pay to keep it going.