AS above: BUYER BEWARE!!!!!!!!

Caveat Emptor

We went to the RV show in Tampa and in checking out the new fifth wheels found the combined carrying capacity of most units is deplorable!!!!! Indeed even what one would think of a a "quality" manufacturer: Carriage-the new domani has a 900 pound carrying capacity! This borders on ludicrous!!!! We saw few rigs which had 3000 pounds CCC or above (minimum in our opinion). If you are in the market CHECK THE WEIGHTS, ESPECIALLY THE CCC!!!!!!! :dead:

DL Rupper

Re: AS above: BUYER BEWARE!!!!!!!!

The new Carriage Domani is an "upscale" 5th Wheel trying to look inside like a Motorhome (floor plan, furniture and decorations). It has the same dumb leather couches facing each other. Not what I would call comfortable for long term living. All for $80,000.

Hey Caveat Emptor, welcome to the forum. Just what in the world do you plan on packing in your 5th Wheel? I have 2,000 lb CCC and haven't had much of a problem in 13 years full-timing. The only thing I can't figure out what to do with is a Satellite dish. I want to put it where it won't get damaged and be readily available (portable) for quick installs at new RV sites. Just not any BIG available space in my 5er. :(

Caveat Emptor

It's me again-still feeling my way around. If this is improper, let me know-gently please! Friends who are also full timers and use Aweigh we go at SKP rallies to really pay attention to loading are finding 3000 Lbs to be not excessive. In my case when I reweighed the fifth after Mor Ryde installed suspension, disk brakes and flexible king pin, I'd added 550 Lbs!! In my experience folks who haven't closely watched their weight are usually overloaded- and they are surprised! The stuff does add up. Thank you.

DL Rupper

We are only passing on our experience. Your question was fine. Sorry if I sounded sanctmonios with my question to you. If you have say a 14,000 lb 5th wheel empty and load 4,000 lbs in it you have got one heavy critter. 900 lbs is definitely not enough. 3,000 lbs seems about right. The 5th wheel comes furnished. 3,000 lbs of clothes, dishes, groceries, tools etc is quite a bit.

Most of us don't fill our water tanks past 1/2 full and empty our holding tanks prior to moving so we save that weight. I would also go with optional heavier axels, wheels and higher load range tires if they have them. Every little bit helps. If you stay with the better fulltime RV manufacturers they usually don't have many problems packing the weight. Those manufactures tend to put the heavy duty chassis under their RVs.

Just remember what you get moving down the road, you also have to be able to stop it. I tend to believe you should use the mid sized trucks to tow the BIG 5th wheels. I've seen too many little itty bitty short beds towing huge 5th wheels. Not safe. Just my opinion. :laugh:

C Nash

Caveat Emptor you are wise to pay attention to CCC. I have seen MHs with under 300 lb of CCC. I like to see at least 2000 lb and guess you are looking at diesel if you are wanting 3000 which I think is a good number. I have seen some gasers with this amount when on the larger chassis such as the 24000 workhorse and the new Ford. Much better to have too much CCC than overload. CCC does include full fresh water tank, propane, fuel and number of people with a weight of 150 each and I probably left out something. The CCC is also the amount of capacity when it left the factory. Only way to know for sure is weigh the rv and 4 wheel weight is best.

hertig

I find that 3000 pounds is about as low as I would want to go. Usually I am at around 2000 pounds with the 2 of us and the cats; on a trip to MA with 1 more person, we were real close to the GVWR of the coach, and that was with only a 1/4 tank of water which boosted my CCC.