Aussie with a thousand questions

OzRich

Hi all,! I am an Aussie and my wife and I are currently RVing around Australia and are in the early stages of planing to do the same thing in the US. We plan to come in March 2010 and stay for about 6 months I am thinking I wil buy an older class C motorhome and tow-behind car. My first question is do I need a special class if drivers licence to drive a class C motor home? Any opinions, suggestions and other constructive input would be welcomed. Thanks Richard

utmtman

Re: Aussie with a thousand questions

No you dont need a special license. Only suggestion is to have fun and enjoy your travels.

ironart

Hi Richard and Welcome

I just purchased my MH from a couple who were traveling here from New Zeland..........They had been here for 4 months and do it every 3 years......

How fun....Buying a used RV is a better idea than renting one.....You can resell it after your adventures for almost as much (or more depending on your purchase) than you paid for it.......Just give yourself enough time to advertise and sell it before you leave.....

Good Luck with your adventures.....

Paul

Kirk

Rich,

Welcome to the forums! There are a number of things that you will need to do, but a special driving license is not one of them.

One of the first things that you will have to do in order to license and insure the RV and auto is to have an address in the USA. Let me suggest that probably the best way to provide that legal address is to join the Escapees RV Club. www.escapees.com From then you can get an address that is completely legal for registering vehicles, insurance, and all other needs while you are here. In fact, that RV club has been our only address now for more than eight years!

Let me also suggest that you visit our website and read the page there which was written and is maintained by a citizen of the UK who does what you plan to do. It explains just what a non-US citizen must do in order to own an RV and use it here. The address to read that page is: http://www.adventure.1tree.net/rv-living/lifestyle/the-british-perspective

aussie Keith

Rich, We did the same thing in 06/07 for 12 months and would confirm that you'll find Kirk's site very informative as I looked at it a month ago. If you need any more information at all we would be glad to help with any details or tips. Just post here, or drop me a PM.
Keith

aussie Keith

Just an afterthought, maybe someone may want to swap rigs for the 6 months and take a peek downunder. Could work well for both.

OzRich

Wow, thanks for all the reply's and information It's obviously going to take a lot of planning. On the subject of buying an RV, are there price/tax advantages in any 1 state or other, also buying private or from a dealer? bearing in mind I propose to buy an older classC for less than 20k. Thanks Richard. P.S.Check out www.vk5uk.com to see what I'm up to at the moment.

Kirk

Sales tax does vary from one state to the next, but the taxes are paid on vehicles here in the state where you register them. Since Escapees ( www.escapees.com ) is one of the few places that you can get a proper address for the purpose, that pretty much narrows the choices. The actual purchase could be in any state, but taxes are still to be paid in the state of registration.

In Texas there is a sales tax on vehicles of 6.25% when you register them, plus the cost of vehicle registration which would probably be less than $100.

OzRich

Thanks for the reply's and information so far, I will continue to research and plan my trip but with the current exchange rate I will really have to look closely at what I do. The slump in rate has added at a guess 15 to 20 k to my proposed trip. Still enjoying the OZ trip. www.vk5uk.com

safe traveling Richard..

wasaths

Kirk - 9/25/2008 6:31 PM

Rich,

Welcome to the forums! There are a number of things that you will need to do, but a special driving license is not one of them.

One of the first things that you will have to do in order to license and insure the RV and auto is to have an address in the USA. Let me suggest that probably the best way to provide that legal address is to join the Escapees RV Club. www.escapees.com From then you can get an address that is completely legal for registering vehicles, insurance, and all other needs while you are here. In fact, that RV club has been our only address now for more than eight years!

Let me also suggest that you visit our website and read the page there which was written and is maintained by a citizen of the UK who does what you plan to do. It explains just what a non-US citizen must do in order to own an RV and use it here. The address to read that page is: http://www.adventure.1tree.net/rv-living/lifestyle/the-british-perspective

Hi, the website details that you gave above dont seem to work. I am doing the same thing next year and would like to get any advise I can. Thanks