Awing

Kerri

I have just got home from camping in Mason City, IA over the weekend. The weather was a little of everything. I thought I'd put the awing down just to help with the little rain that was coming down as we sat outside and enjoyed the fall weather. Yes, I do have the clamps that help hold the awing midway. They are about 6 inches long. I even put up the lines that go from the awing to a tie down in the ground. So, 2-3 hours goes by and I step into the camper for another cup of coffee. Stepped back out and I must say the winds had picked up a great deal. So, I decided to roll it up and step into the camper for dinner inside. I'm not sure way out of all the people camping I was the only one that rolled up. I truly don't know if I understand how much wind an awing can take without having a nightmare. Can anyone help?
Kerri

DL Rupper

Re: Awing

I can't tell you how much most awnings can take, but mine can only handel about 20 miles/hr. It starts making nasty noises and whips about, even if tied down. So I relent and roll it up. We are both happy after that. ;) :eek: :approve:

ARCHER

I use three deflappers on each end, two lines to tie downs from each end of the awning and a center strap across the middle of the awning (all my straps are hooked into screw in the ground (not doggie type) type steel connectors). Now I leave it up even if the winds pick up, but use some common sense and take it down if the winds get over 35 mph. Have not lost one yet (knock on wood).

G

If u don't feel comfortable about the winds whiping u'r awning,, do what i do roll it up ,, better safe than sorry ,, i had a customer that had his awning out ,, he then went to dinner ,, and they had a downburst hit the campground ,, and guess what ,, his awning and some fiberglass is still being looked for by the search and rescue ,, i replaced the awning for him ,, but only after he had about $700 worth of fiberglass work done ,, that way i could reattach the lower arms to the coach ,,, like i said,, if in doubt,, roll it up,,, JMO ;) :)

Kerri

Thanks guys
That's what I did. I have the awing flap things and tie downs. But in my belly, I thought it best at that time. Off this Friday for Springfield, Il. Enjoy your weekend :laugh:

H2H1

Morning Kerri, when I had a TT the awning was a night mare when the wind got up . I think I replaced 2 of the arms and 3 locking handle during the time I owned it. But since I got a MH it has a wind advisory on it and when turn on it will automatic roll up the awning when the wind gets up.I thought this would be a good thing to have if for some reason you are asleep and the wind got up and it would stop damage to the awning. I know it was so hard getting awning down when the arm is bent even just a little. So you can't be to care full with the awning when the wind gets up. enjoy and happy traveling.

Hollis

Kerri

I Thank you all for your reply. I feel better for what I did and I'll learn more as I go. But I sure don't want to learn the hard way either. After our next trip out this weekend I believe with all the family things going on I'll have to close up for the winter, since I live in the Midwest of Illinois. I have decided to have the dealer do up our camper and I'll have it cleaned (by myself) inside. I had received a message from Phonner about things I need to do and possible can do myself. Now, if you don't mind here's my next question. I don't have a place to store the camper, so I went to camping world and looked at the covers. It runs about $400 for the toy hauler 29 ft long with a rubber roof. So what's your thought's on that for a beginner? Boy, the first year of camping I've found my list longer than what I thought. ;)

H2H1

Hey Kerri, Hollis again, I have had 2 TT before I got the MH and used the covers from CW on them during the winter. And I got one for the MH as well being I can't build a stick and brick shed for it.Also be sure to winterize it when you put it up for the winter. Anyway enjoy and happy camping,