Awning

krsmitty

On the 5er we have a power awning. Sort of useless as far as I am concerned. It sits pretty high on the 5er with no adjustment of any kind. So even with a ladder hard to put up lights, clean etc. No real way of cleaning the top of the awning unless you do from the top of the 5er. You open and close and that is it. Seriously considering replacing my powered one with a good old manual awning. Has anyone done?

Grandview Trailer Sa

Re: Awning

I have not done it, but heard of it.

Personally, I love my power awning and would not trade for anything. I got drenched several times in the middle of the night taking lights off and putting the awning up...now I don't put up lights and can just hit a switch to bring it in when needed. It has an auto dump feature if it is just raining, so dont have to angle the awning to run water off.

Washing is the only downside to a power awning that I see. Yes, you have to wash the top from the roof of the trailer...I can.

H2H1

sorry for that, As I was saying, I love mine, yes it does have it draw backs, but also has it advantage also. I never leave mine out when we are sleeping, al though it does have sensor to re track it if wind get up, and that is a good thing to have. I don't recall a rain sensor on it , but once I had to get a puddle out of the center where the rain has collected. But would hate to have to go outside the break down an awning in the middle of a thunder storm. been there and done it with a manual awning.

Bounder Boy

We have never had any trouble with the manual ones. We do keep an ear to the radio or tv weather and if there is a chance of rain we just make sure we lower and tilt before bedtime. Still keeps the stuff under dry and never puddles. The newer model manuals have a spring loaded side that is "suppose" to auto dump, but from the ones I have witnessed myself, they seem to be iffy. I also have met people that are not the happiest with their auto retractable because of the lack of being able to position them as wanted. Plus you have to make sure anything you want dry is put away.
BB

G

i am with u John ,, i like my manual awning ,, i was thinking of going power ,, but we close ours up when we leave ,, and when we go to bed anyway ,, and besides that ,, it is so nice to have it close to the ground for a good cleaning ,, and alot less to have to worry about going wrong ,, (i really hate to work on my own stuff ) IMO ;) :) :) :approve: :approve:

Grandview Trailer Sa

Guess I am lazy...the new ElkRidges have a remote control that works the front and rear jacks, slideouts and the Power Awning....AHH...

G

only u Ken :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :evil:

Grandview Trailer Sa

Hey Rod....new SunnyBrooks Sunset Creek Travel Trailers are gonna come with Power Awnings, Power Front Jacks, Power Stab. Jacks...and more to come!!

H2H1

I see they are making them for us lazy people :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: OR maybe a woman designed and wanted thing to be easy for us men

akjimny

And whenever all that fancy power equipment doesn't work - bring money :eek: :eek: :laugh: :laugh:

G

U got that right ,, Jim ,, i will work on any of them ,, but not my own ,, i want stuff that i know i can handle on mine ,, the less bells and whistles the better on mine ,, i hate to work on my own stuff anyway ,, it has to be where i can't drive it ,, before i work on it ,, then i will only do what is the min to get it going agian :eek: :eek: :eek:

akjimny

Ken, I have a manual awning on my motorhome that has been out exactly once - when the dealer showed me how to set it up. Haven't been anywhere since long enough to use it, and now I'm not even sure if I can remember how to set it up.

All of our stops on the trip are one-nighters and I can't use it down at the river campground - can't even extend your slide - it's too crowded.

Maybe at the M&G someone can show me how to use it, since I intend to be there for the whole thing. That should be enough days for me to figure it out - with help, of course. :laugh: :laugh: :)

H2H1

Hey Jimmy, yes we will, there will pleanty of us there to show you how again. Just glad you coming

Triple E

Don't feel bad jimmy. I use mine about once a year. Each time I have to scratch my head for about 20 Min's. before I rememberhow toget started. Won't tell you how long it takes me to do the rest. :laugh: The only reason I take mine out is to give it a good bath and well I am at it I go a head with my yearly bath also. :approve: :laugh: :laugh:

Grandview Trailer Sa

Now if you guys had an electric awning...all you would have to do is push a button....not much to remember :laugh:

Yes, Jimmy I will help you with your awning at the M&G..if I remember how!!!

G

See ,, Ken u forget the basics of manual labor :eek: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Pillaz

RE: Awning

I love my automatic awning system. Its called the Wife. It works beautifully but is occasionally high maintenance.
Sorry I am just too busy making cocktails. :laugh: :laugh: