B Class for Full-Timing

Al Wells

Can one use a B Class RV for full-time RV'ing, or would "cabin fever" set in too quickly? I am thinking of two travellers and a small dog...

Al

ARCHER

B Class for Full-Timing

I think you would probably hate a Class B for full-timing. Not enough room for one but with two and a dog, something would probably have to go and I guess it would not be YOU. I'd check into a Class C if I were you or even a Class A, both used until you figure out you like it on the road.

hertig

B Class for Full-Timing

Keep in mind that a 'class B' is a VAN. It is great for going from point A to point B, and taking care of your needs on the way. It is much less good for living in once you get there. Many of them most people can't even stand up straight in. Unless you are both real skinny or you get a unit with slide-outs (don't know if they even have these), it would be a puzzle to pass each other in the unit. They do not carry much, either in bulk or weight. So you would be spending all your time at the store or laundramat.

Of course, you CAN do it; but then there are those who do it in a refridgerator box under the bridge as well...

To see if you like the lifestyle, any RV may do, but to really go 'full time' you will want a top quality Class A (or possibly a trailer). Class C's generally don't have the CCC (Cargo Carrying Capacity) to support most full time lifestyles.

C Nash

B Class for Full-Timing

Al, NO WAY but, thats just my opinion. keep the house and belongings if you go this route because you will be back :laugh: . Most fulltimers opt for either the 5th wheel or class A units. Each have their advantages.

Al Wells

B Class for Full-Timing

Chelse, what are the pros and cons of 5th wheel vs. Class A? It seems to make sense that you can park the 5th wheel and travel only with the truck, instead of navigating the big rigs around town, but enough people seem to want the Class A for some reason...

Al

turnipbwc

B Class for Full-Timing

Al,
As a Class B owner there is no way I would full time in one. From what I have been reading over the years on RV forums a 5th wheel is the way to go to full time. My Class B Roadtrek is great for us right now because we do a lot of day trips. I plan on going to a 5th wheel or trailer to pull with my truck sometime in the future. Not planning on going full time just not enough room in the Roadtrek.
If you were full timing in a Class B and it rained for a week, what would you do? You and the Mrs. would be ready to chop each others heads off but if you had a 5th wheel you could jump in the truck and head for the mall or take in a movie without breaking up camp.
Just my opinion and mine only.
Good luck,
turnip

Al Wells

B Class for Full-Timing

Good points Turnip! A 5th wheel seems to appeal to my way of thinking as well.

I have two years left before I retire. Hitting the open road is very appealing, as I love the outdoor life, but creature comfort takes on more importance as I age, since the body starts to complain if abused with uncomfortable beds and a lot of deep knee bends to perform day-to-day duties. My time with rental RV's challenged my back at times, especially having to get to items tucked way inside storage and even hooking up the hose proved a challenge. (I fear that osteo-arthritis, a legacy of my job, has invaded my body). I wonder if a good ergonomist has ever been contacted to design an RV. From what I have seen and experienced, there are a lot of ways that storage access and other functions could be re-designed to make it easier for us folk who can no longer do back flips...

Al

turnipbwc

B Class for Full-Timing

Al,
Don't sell the farm until you are sure you like full timing. Some people do and have no where to go to after they find out they hate full timing. If you have to let it set empty for a few months or rent it.
turnip

C Nash

B Class for Full-Timing

Al, the 5th wheel or class A is something you will have to figure which would be best for your camping. If you will not be staying in the same location for long I would look into a class A. Nice to just pull in and park, hit the leveling button, hook up water and electricity and you are done. You can also tow a toad (small car) behind the MH. You will get around 8 mpg with a late model gasser but the tow can get 30+ while sightseeing so the MPG kind of equal out. When you figure the price of a proper equiped tow vehicle and the 5th wheel there is not that much difference in initial cost. The MH upkeep will probably cost more. I like the storage some MH offer but watch the CCC. The 5th wheel probably offers more usable living space in same size units. Don't want to start another war on oks and not oks but the MH is great for just stopping in wally world for a quick nap. You don't have to even unlock the door and thats pretty important now a days. If you breakdown in a MH and it is in the shop you do have to find a place to stay but, that's why you keep a good road service. With the 5th wheel you can still stay in it while the tow vehicle is being repaired. In a MH it is nice to just pull off the road (yep we all stop when the kids or wife has to go potty :eek: :laugh: )and don't have to leave the camper. Snacks are just a few steps away. Lot of rambling thoughts and JMO

Al Wells

B Class for Full-Timing

Great thoughts Chelse! Your points are well taken and appreciated! As Turnip suggested, I need to be careful in the decision to go full-time in the first place, and if that direction is taken, be cautious as to what unit will allow me the best in service, comfort and security.

I read a book with the title of "I could do anything I want...if I only knew what it was...". That is how I feel at the moment with the RV world. I do not know if I'll be staying in one spot, or trekking through North America to try to see all that I can, before I close my eyes for the last time. I can only vicariously follow the lives of all of you who have the adventures already behind you, and allow my imagination to try to fill in the blanks.

I am no home-body. I enjoy the open road. Strangers are only friends I have not met, and I never feel a greater peace than when I am listening to nature and drawing in the fresh air of the great forests that are still left for us to enjoy. Perhaps some introspective thinking, listening carefully to those of you now living the dream and trying before I buy, is still the wisest approach to a final decision.

Al

TexasClodhopper

B Class for Full-Timing

Yeah, but where's the adventure in that? You want to live in the wild? Do something wild! Let your reality catch up with your imagination!

Al Wells

B Class for Full-Timing

Texas Clodhopper you are quite right! Time to surf ebay for RV's! Retirement is looking better already!

Al