back up camera

pbasenior

I just purchased a 2001 Safari Panther. My backup camera does not work. I was told (by the dealership where purchased) this is because it doesn't work with an HD TV. The dealership doesn't know much about the Safari line of motor coaches. I am new to the class A world, but this doesn't sound right. Any help would be appreciated.

TexasClodhopper

Re: back up camera

Fred, what TV are you looking at while you are backing up? You should be looking at a monitor on your dash. That monitor is only going to be a video monitor. Video is NOT HD in any way, shape or form.

By the way, an HD TV also has video inputs.

Your dealer is blowing smoke.

utmtman

You got that right tex, I think his dealership tech has been smoking somethin funny. If your backup camera is not working than either you camera is out or the monitor is out. Does your monitor come on when you turn it on or stay black?

C Nash

Welcome to the forum Fred. That tech should be smoking out both ears, mouth and you know where.
Hope that was not Rod told him that :eek: :laugh: :clown: ;) So does this mean I have to get a converter for my back up camera :eek:

G

now ,, nash u know that u need a coverter for u'r back up camera ,, how else would it work off 120 volts ???? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: ;) :eek: :evil: :clown: :clown:

ironart

Sounds like he doesn't have a complete "rear View camera system"....(could be missing the monitor)
Monitor should come on when the selector is placed in Reverse as well as the camera....an only then.
Most operate on 12 volts and would not require a converter.....

The correct procedure is to turn the engine on.....Place the selector in Reverse (Rear View system comes on) and view the monitor.....
Once you leave Reverse....The system shuts down....

Some, who would like to view their toad or horse trailer while going down the road, have modified the original wiring and installed a little "By-pass" switch, which will allow the system to work as you are going down the road......Not legal....but Who's looking....

a TV that is able to be viewed by the driver should be disabled while under way,......At least it is that way here and I think in most states.

C Nash

My monitor works while driving down the road and came that way. Like it that way so I can monitor the toad. TV will not.

G

Ironart ,, u sure know alot about rv's to be a metal fabricator ,, not knocking u or anything ,, just impressed ,,, or do u ,, do rv service at night ???? ;) :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :evil:

elkhartjim

My monitor is always on...straight from the factory. I use it for passing clearance as much as anything.

ironart

Thanks Rod......No RV service.....I am busy enough keeping mine running...

Just done a lot of things in my life......Electrical contractor, Solar Contractor, Heating and Air contractor....Deputy Sheriff (LA County)....Building contractor (hi rise and TI)......Wife and I lived on a 53ft. Trawler (boat) for 13 years when I first retired.....started a business of cleaning diesel fuel tanks while on the boat.......Lots of fun stuff...... Now a metal artist...Don't really know how that happened but it is fun work ;) ;)

I am leaving on Thursday for 2 weeks to do some festivals in So. California....Will be camping and working at the same time....much like you :) :)

G

well i wish i was CAMPING ,, but the WORK has overdone my camping ,, and too think i sold my bussiness to do this :eek: :angry: ,, no really i had customers that wanted stuff like i do now done ,, but then i couldn't do it ,, but sold out to enjoy life ,, and here i am again WORKING ,, but on stuff that is fun ,, and i even look up to getting up to go to work in the am ,, it's always different ,, but since now that i got help ,, i am going to enjoy more time off ,, that's the way it should be ,, but i must say ,, it came at the wrong time of yr ,, missed out out 3 weeks on the beach over labor day :( ,, oh well maybe next yr ,, i'll go for 4 weeks :laugh: :laugh: :approve: :approve: :evil: :evil:

ironart

I HEAR YOU....I missed a lot of fun this summer too....My wife and I love the beach.....Not quite the same as living on the water...but close..

Hope you had better luck with your business sale then I did......I financed the sale (50K) myself and got stung....new owner ran it into the ground and left town....never to be found again.....I guess I won't do that again.....

This will be the first trip of any length with the new (to us) MH...We have a couple of weekends under our belt, but not any extended stay...Hope all works well :) :) :eek: :eek: :eek: ;) ;) :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Good talking with you.. ;) :) :)

pbasenior

Reading my Safari motor coaches owner's Manuel in the section "rear camera and monitor" it says your TV screen acts as your back up monitor. turn on inverter power. Turn on camera switch. Now you should see a black and white image of what is behind you. The TV was replaced with a bigger TV also has HD camability. The dealer said the TV with HD will not work with the back up camera. Does anyone know if this is true or not. I should have given more info. with my original question.

TexasClodhopper

Fred, just as in my previous answer, your backup camera should have VIDEO output.

That VIDEO output is what requires a VIDEO input on the back of a TV or camera monitor.

It doesn't matter whether the TV is HD or not. VIDEO is neither HD or anything else.

Smokin'!

ironart

Tex is right....

You might have to select Video on your TV.....Just as you would if you were going to play a video game....That is, if the guy that installed the larger TV actually plugged the camera into the Video inputs in the back of the TV.

ndnparts

RE: back up camera

I'll assume your system is the same as the one in my 2000 Safari Zanzibar where the TV is the monitor. So, the inverter must be on to operate the TV and there is a camera switch on the side console behind the transmission shift control with all of the other switches. As I recall, you also need to select the proper video input on the TV.

I say as I recall because I hated the system and removed it and installed a conventional Voyager camera and monitor. The problem was that at night the system needed to be off or it put out way too much light, and it was a stretch to get a good position to see the monitor. My suggestion is to replace the system, but I bet the tech just didn't know how it worked. Stan

H2H1

Well mine is like Nash and Len. When I start up the engine it come on automatic being the monitor is on. I use it for passing or changing lanes. When I get to where I am going and shut off the engine it goes off. I just it on auto pilot, and works great. :laugh: :approve:

LEN

Betcha, when the TV was replaced they did not plug the rear view cam. Or second thought turn on rear view cam, turn on TV, check some way so you know TV is on, then look for the mode on the TV that goes TV, video 1, video 2, and run though those modes and see if you get backup mon. on one of the other inputs.

LEN

ironart

Hollis...........Speaking about "Auto Pilot".....I just read that a woman just sued one of the big RV manufacturers and WON..??? I can't remember how many MILLIONS of dollars and a new coach.....

She put it on Curise Control and left the drivers seat to go to the bathroom and (Of Course) the coach ran off the road and was totaled...

She thought that the CC was an "Auto pilot" and the RV literature didn't tell her that she still had to drive the coach....How Stupid, but she got the money......... :eek: :eek: :dead: :dead: :dead: :clown: :clown:

And the MFG. had to include that in the literature........Can You Imagin..????