bad smell in rv

tommiehawke

i bought a 2000 allegro bus from a friend and it has a strange odor in it. it doesn't smell like holding tank odors. it seems to be an acrid smell & it permeates the motor home. there is a dry storage bin behind the couch that runs the length of the couch and is as deep as the couch is tall and about 8" wide where the smell is strongest. underneath this area is the water pump and storage bay. i have had the carpet and couch steam cleaned, replaced the toilet seal so that the toilet holds water and still the smell persists. my friend says they didn,t notice the smell. any ideas?

ken

H2H1

Re: bad smell in rv

Hey Ken look at your battery, I found that to be my problem. I replaced the battery and the smell went away. Also check your house batteries they could have cooked while in storage if hooked up to shore power and no one check the water level.

tommiehawke

thanks for the suggestion. the batteries are relatively new. the smell doesn't seem to be of an electrical nature.
it doesn't smell like wet wood and i have searched for a dead mouse or some other animal.

ken

C Nash

Very well could be a dead rodent. Them buggers can get in and die where you can't find them. Been there done that. I would still ck the batteries as Hollis suggested. Even a new one can be overcharged and emit a terrible odor.

JonD

A dead mouse would certainly cause it! Check out www.mouse-free.com. It's a dealer applied undercarriage coating that prevents mice from entering through the small holes underneath. It stops the nesting, gnawing and chewing.