Battery bank 12V vs. Inverter 120V connection

Scavenger

I have a small battery bank that is charged via a 80W solar panel connected to the 12v on my trailer. I do have some 120V requirements. I am going to run an inverter with an extension cord for those purposes. Any reason why I would not be able to connect the 120V from the inverter directly to the trailer 120?

TexasClodhopper

Re: Battery bank 12V vs. Inverter 120V connection

Don't do that WHILE you are connected to the local utility!

Otherwise, build you a box with a 30 amp connector on it just like at a campground. Plug your regular extension cord into it, and you now have 120 AC for your trailer.

However, you better watch what is already connected to that 120 inside your trailer. Maybe a water heater or a converter.

You didn't mention the wattage of your inverter, but it won't power much. I hope it's a good one, too, so it will have a good waveform and frequency. Make sure it has a good fuse/breaker, so you won't burn your trailer down to the ground while your sleeping! :dead:

Scavenger

RE: Battery bank 12V vs. Inverter 120V connection

There is no utility available. I am powered completely from the batteries in this scenario. My intention was to plug the power from the inverter to the shore connection on the trailer so I would have access to the inverter 120 through the outlets in the trailer. I am thinking there may be a problem with the loop created with the charging system however. I believe I will just go directly off of the inverter to the neccesary appliance to be on the safe side. I have plenty of juice to power a laptop, recharge cell phones and probably even power a TV. I am considering a 2000+ watt inverter.

SuperMike

RE: Battery bank 12V vs. Inverter 120V connection

Scavenger - 11/16/2010 12:15 AM There is no utility available. I am powered completely from the batteries in this scenario. My intention was to plug the power from the inverter to the shore connection on the trailer so I would have access to the inverter 120 through the outlets in the trailer. I am thinking there may be a problem with the loop created with the charging system however. I believe I will just go directly off of the inverter to the neccesary appliance to be on the safe side. I have plenty of juice to power a laptop, recharge cell phones and probably even power a TV. I am considering a 2000+ watt inverter.

Unless the battery bank is huge then a 2000w inverter will run them down in very short order. And, the 80w solar panel willnot even begin to keep up. There's no such thing as a free lunch, sorry. :blackeye: