battery charger

flongi

i was wandering when pluged into shore power my battery charger or converter charges the battereys and supplys 12 volts to the home i leave the motore home plugged in all the time at home to keep eveything charged will this hurt anything

ironart

Re: battery charger

Hi Flongi,

Constant charging can evaporate the water out of the batteries...... Keep checking the water level and add as needed..

flongi

hi ironart

thanks for the reply i will monitor the water level but does constant charging hurt the charger

ARCHER

That is what it is made for. Make sure you only use distilled water in it, not house water.

Kirk

There will be no harm to your converter(charger) from leaving it on all of the time. In fact, we who live full-time in our RVs do exactly that. Mine has been in operation nearly constantly for the past 8 1/2 years and it works just fine. It would be a good idea to check the voltage out of your converter just to be sure that it is at a proper level for good battery life. If it is too high it will cause you to loose water from the batteries more rapidly and if too low it will not keep the batteries properly charged. I like to keep mine set to put out 13.6V. Never let it get above 13.8V and if it should be less than about 13.4V your battery will be significantly degraded in the amount of charge applied. Nearly all of the converters can be adjusted to get the proper output voltage.