Battery Charging

mosshead

OK kids here's one that has been bugging me since Busch Light and I thought of it last night. Not a problem but a question. My 96 Georgie Boy Pursuit requires me to plug the land line in a receptacle to complete the circuit for the onboard generator for 110vac and trickle charging of the coach battery. If I am plugged into shore power and providing atrickle charge to the coach battery does the engine altenator also provide a charge at a higher rate if I start the engine? Just wondering.

Kirk

Re: Battery Charging

The answer to that is yes it does. I believe that you have the Intellitec power control modual, just as we do in our 98 Cruise Master. What it does is to seek the highest source of voltage to supply to the batteries. If there is more than 13.1V applied to either battery for more than 14 seconds, the isolator will close and allow charging of the battery that is not currently being charged. This assumes that the other battery is at a lower voltage than the charging one. Since a fully charged battery that is at rest will read 12.5 to 12.7V, the voltage of 13.1 is assumed to indicate a charge and it is the minimum voltage that will charge a battery in good condition.

The information comes from the service manual from Intellitec who is the supplier of what we have. You can down-load a manual if you wish by visitint their site and get a copy of the one titled "Battery Control Center - Single Disconnect (483K)." The link to that site is: http://www.intellitec.com/techsupp2.htm

mosshead

Re: Battery Charging

Thanks Kirk. Good info that opens up another question. To use my radio I must put the ign sw in acc. No problem except after a couple of days parked the truck battery drains below the point where the radio won't work. I blame the radio amp installed by previous owner and have compensated by hooking up a trickle charger to that battery. Now it appears that both batterys should charge when hooked up to shore power. Under troubleshooting it says to check for power at J1-5 and replace relay if no voltage present. On the scematic I can see J-5. Is this where I check for voltage and by replace relay do they mean the whole unit? I'm concerned about cost and can live with the present setup. I have seen this unit mounted on the firewall and it appears easy to work on. Thanks again for your help. Doug