battery draining

wilf

hi i have a 93 fleetwood coronado the chassis battery was not holding its charge and the mechanic said it was the battery so i bought a new one but that is the same,
any ideas what to check or what the most common problem could be ??

wilf

Re: battery draining

when i drive it the battery charges up fine but as soon as i leave it the volts start going down if i switch the disconect off for the battery in side the mh it stays at the same volts?

Kirk

That tells me that something is draining the battery and is not turned off. As I understand what you say, if you open the battery disconnects the battery does not run down? If that is correct, you can look for the thing which is causing the problem by connecting an amp meter between the battery and the loads. The best way is to lift the negative cable from the battery. Attach the positive lead to it with an alligator clip and the negative lead to the battery post. It will now read the number of amps of current that is leaving your battery. You next need to remove 12V fuses one at a time until the ammeter reading drops way off. When that happens, you have found the circuit that is your problem so you then need to find what is not being turned off.

wilf

could you explain that again do you mean conect the possitive and negative leads to each other then connect them to the negative side of the battery?? thanks