battery problems

malcolm

I'm new to the rv world and have a Prowler trailer and was wondering if there is a battery charger in this thing. My battery keeps going dead.

H2H1

I don't think so, unless a solar panel was installed for thar purpose. I have one on my MH to charge the house batteries. Now if the batteries keep dieing, then there is a draw on it/them. I once found mt radio was on, but the volume was turned down. ALos look for a light.lights being on. If you have lights in the storage bins, go check them out. If all 12 v appliances are off, then charge the batteries and don't hook them up and see how long the charge last. Then do the same with the batteries charged and connect back up to the Camper and see how long it takes to discharge.Another way is with a fully charge batteries go to your power panel and cut one circuit off and watch the batteries draw, if nothing happen turn that back on and do another circuit, do this till you find the draw, this way you see where it is coming from and go find the draw.

I am no way an expert these are some tings I would do. I know there are some experts on here that may offer a better way to go,,

GOOD LUCK

akjimny

Hi Malcolm and welcome to the RVUSA Forum. Your trailer should have a battery charger built into the power convertor. When you plug the trailer into shore power, the convertor runs all the 12 volt lights and appliances, provides 120 volts to any wall outlets, and charges the battery. The battery will also receive a charge from the trailer-to-tow vehicle connection while the tow vehicle engine is running.

Unfortunately, both of these methods of charging the house battery are pretty slow, and power convertors are notorious for not powering down once the house battery is charged and end up cooking it (boiling the battery dry).

You didn't say how old your battery was. House batteries are only good for 5 to 7 years even in the best circumstances.

Hope this helps some. Post back if you have more questions..:):)

malcolm

Thank you Jim, My battery is only 2 weeks old and I thought there would be a charger on here but I can't seem to find it. The access panel outside has nothing in it and inside is just a breaker and fuse panel. Where might the charger be?

C Nash

The converter/battery charger should be located somewhere nere wher your power cord comes in. Might be under a bed or under the dinette seat. You may be able to listen inside with the shore power connected and hear a low hum to locate it. I am sure it has one somewhere. Have you used a volt meter to read voltage while hooked to shore power?

malcolm

The power cord goes right to the breakers and there are 12v fuses to the right of the breakers. There is no hum and I looked under every cabinet, even looked under the camper. I think the last owner took the charger out but can't be sure. I might have to just keep charging the battery with a store bought charger but what a hassle.

G

the charger should be built into the converter ,, and that is where u see the 12 volt fuses and 120 volt breakers ,, but one thing to do ,, and that is ck the batts with a volt meter without having the rv plugged in and see what voltage u have ,, then plug in the rv ,, and test agian ,, that should tell u if the charger is working ,, also take the batt. cables off ,, and plug in the rv ,, if u have 12 volt power that will tell u the converter is working ,, but sounds to me like the batt. dissconect switch might be in the "off" postion ,, if it is the batts will not charge ,, but u wil have 12 vlot power when plugged in ,, hope this helps some :)

Shadow

Is it going dead while your hooked up to shore power, or going dead while sitting waiting on a trip? If not hooked up to any power source the battery will go dead in a few days. The gas detector and maybe something else will draw it down. Just asking, didn't notice it in any of the post.

Well except for Hollis post! I'll go back to sleep now......

Philip.Saran

As Butch (Shadow) said, while in storage you need to disconnect the battery or keep the TT plugged in
to shore power. Yes even the gas dector will draw enough to kill the charge on a battery in short order.

Of course you could also have a bad (new) battery also.