Battery question ...

I have a 2007 Coachmen Freelander that has been sitting since our last camping trip in October. Today I discovered that the batteries are completly dead. The lights are weak and even the generator wouldn't start until I started the RV's engine. Is that normal? Do batteries normally leak power like that after not being use for long periods of time? It's a stupid question, I know, but I wouild really appreciate ann answer. Thanks.

TexasClodhopper

Re: Battery question ...

Yes, Thomas, the batteries will self-drain. More likely though is that they have been drained by all the little things that are connected to them like the thermostat.

Put your battery disconnect switch to off, and get them on a GOOD charger now. Make sure that while they are charging that they have water in them to the correct level.

Kirk

It really is neither normal nor abnormal for the coach batteries to drain as nearly all RVs have what we call, phantom loads that do not turn off when you turn other things off. Most thermostats don't take nearly enough current to drain a battery, but when added to things like propane detectors, radio memory, and all of the many other things, it is pretty typical of most RVs. For that reason, most RVs also have a battery cutoff that will open circuit the battery. Even the chassis battery will eventually run discharge if not monitored.

Before you put a charger on those batteries, be sure that you check the electrolyte levels because they are probably low and recharging with them that way will cause at least some damage to the batteries. Once they have been properly charged, leave the negative cable off of the post or the battery isolator open if you have one. When stored for months, it is always a good idea to make sure that the battery is charged and in an open circuit.

Kirk

One further thing. If you do not read this until after the battery has been charged, be sure to check the levels again then and if low, put the charger back on for a few hours as it will take more charge. If this is the only time that this has happened, the batteries will probably still be usable, but this is an RV that is nearing 4 years old so if the batteries are original, there is a good chance that it is very late in battery life.

Thanks, Kirk. I charged the batteries before I read your messages and they seem to be OK. We're taking a brief trip next week so I should know if the batteries are a problem. I will have the mechanic check them out when the coach next goes in for maintenance They are most likely originals.