Bay storage doors coming off - loose at the point where the hinge attaches to coach.

411jeff

The screws that hold some of my under carriage bay storage doors are loose and can't be tightened.
It seems that they are screwed into wood and the wood is rotten. I have a 2003 Coachmen Aurora.
First, is this wood the floor decking to the RV because it's right at the floor level?
Second, Any ideas on what should be done to fix? I hope I don't need to replace flooring
Finally, has anyone removed the door from the coach? I can't figure that out.

Thanks for any help.

H2H1

here is what I have done to something similiar. I put in a wooden golf tee and make sure it is really glued in. Let it sit a day or 2 to let it dry. Then use a small drill bit and re drill the hole, just don't over size the hole so the screw want fit. i have done this several times on doors and it works. So good luck

akjimny

Jeff - If you are completely sure the wood is rotten, you have a very serious problem. If the wood is solid but the screw hole is just wallowed out, what I do is something simular to what Hollis recommended. I dip toothpicks in glue and then stuff as many as I can into the screw hole. Break or cut them off flush with the surface and drive in the screw. Allow time for the glue to set up before puting any strain on the fixture.

But, if the wood really is rotten, you have bigger problems than loose screws. Good Luck.:):)

H2H1

well I agree with Jimmy, if the wood is rotten, then you have a much bigger problem. Do some more investigating and make sure that the wood indeed is rotten. good luck

RanCarr

We had a similar problem with an old Class-C. The wood was totally rotten and so we replaced it. Sometimes it's hard to tell but taking off the outer skin will reveal the rot. :(