bedroom air

Discussion in 'General RVing' started by michael mangine, May 30, 2007.

1. michael mangine

michael mangine New Member

hi all, ihave a 31'class c chateua with a 4kw onan generator and i'm think about adding a air cond. inthe bed room was wondering if any bodys done it and how it worked out with the load on the generator thanks mike

2. hertig

hertig Senior Member

Re: bedroom air

4KW should run the AC and most other loads, although you might have a problem using a high current load like the microwave when the AC wants to start. I've seen trailers with 'window' type air conditioners sticking out, but I don't know how well that would work on a unit which was moved much; I suspect it would be problematical. A roof top unit designed for a motorhome would probably be a better choice. Be aware of how much, if any, height it would add to your unit.

3. michael mangine

thanks but i think i explained it wrong i have a existing 15,000 btu air cond. ducted unit in the center of the rv and want to add a 13,500 10 amp in the bedroom and wanted to see if anybody's done this with out destroying there generator thanks mike

4. TexasClodhopper

TexasClodhopper Senior Member

Wow! That's a lot of A/C for a 31 footer. Maybe you just need a fan for the bedroom?

You would have to find a way to 'sequence' the two units so that they both weren't on at the same time.

5. rvtech1

rvtech1 New Member

The 4K Generator will handle 4000watts It actually loads up at about 4500, A 15K Btu Roof AC runs at 12amps on high cool at about 90+deg & 1500watts, That generator will handle both ACs with no problem. I would suggest a 13.5K btu roof AC 2x's is more than sufficient plus you can run the Microwave also. Cheers

6. hertig

hertig Senior Member

Really? I thought when a generator was rated at 4KW, it meant that was the maximum, for a limited time only, with the 'steady state' value a few hundred watts LESS. And isn't the start up current of A/C rather more than the running current? So even if the generator would run both A/C at the same time, wouldn't you be at risk if they both tried to start at the same time?

I'm no 'tech', but every RV I've seen so far with 2 A/C units has been 50 amps and the generators have been at least 6KW. I certainly wouldn't risk it unless my uncle owned an AC repair shop :) (low voltage eats A/C compressors)

There is (or at least was) a device available which would 'stage' 2 A/C so you can run 2 off of 30 amps. If you install the second one, I'd suggest using such a gadget to make any 'over draw' condition 'impossible'.

7. rvtech1

rvtech1 New Member

Yes Thats why I told you a 135kbtu Ac would be sufficient.
    Low amp draw on a compressor means low coolant, high amp draw is bad compressor.
    The AC units have a start capacitor/ptcr time delay installed to protect the resistance from the compressor on restart for the run capacitor. Also currently they are using a 3min time delay thermostat as well
    Yes your pushing it on amp draw if you want to use additional appliances.
    Also a smaller ac unit like 7kbtu Dometic will be more than enough to cool a bedroom

8. michael mangine

RE: bedroom air

ok boys here we go, had my super electrician here today and my 15,000 unit runs at 12.3 amps start up about 18.there's a polar cub air cond. that rated at 8.3 amps 8500 btu that will cool the bed room remember i''m just looking for a little extra cold air in there on hot nights the other unit is ducted chances are they will never start up together. so 12.3 and 8.3 =20.6 on a 30amp generator is just overhalf load not to bad i confident it will work,my 11 yr old son races motocross so were usually in a dirt lot in the heat thanks all mike

31' 2002 thor chateau 31s :) :)

9. hertig

hertig Senior Member

If we assume that the startup for the second one is similar to the first one (50% more), the startup for both at once would be about 30. So I still suggest a device to absolutely prevent them starting at the same time, since if the converter/charger was also going, that could be a problem.

10. rvtech1

rvtech1 New Member

By adding Colemens controll center will prevent that

11. s.harrington

s.harrington Senior Member

The big question is ..... Are you wired for A/C in the bedroom?????