Best Gas truck to pull up to a 30ft 5th wheel

Discussion in 'Towables' started by Patrick, May 11, 2015.

1. Patrick

Patrick Junior Member

I would like advice on what is the best truck to pull up to a 30ft 5th wheel. This is our first venture with a 5th wheel and need advice from people who have done it before.

2. C Nash

C Nash Senior Member

3/4 ton Ford or Chevy with tow pakage and long bed. Pay attention to axle ratio. V8 engine IMO. Are you buying new or used?
    Welcome to the forum Patrick. :D

3. pdqparalegal1

pdqparalegal1 Junior Member

Depending on weight, may want to consider "diesel", Dully.

4. lmsteimel

lmsteimel Junior Member

A diesel should give you better fuel economy, more torque and the engine should last longer, if you take care of it. Why do you want a gas engine?

5. OregonShane

OregonShane New Member

I personally have a dodge 3/4 ton and it's a gas model.. Like all gas model trucks the gas milage will kill you! Can I pull a 30ft 5th wheel? Sure can and then some!

6. krsmitty

krsmitty Senior Member

X2 on the diesel. But depends on how often you plan to be towing, is it a daily driver etc.

7. C Nash

C Nash Senior Member

As far as fuel economy it's a wash IMO. Diesel fuel cost more but have seen it cheaper now. Engine Life? A gas burner will last for 300k now with proper care. Service is more expensive on a diesel IMO. I have had both and really makes no difference to me as long as you have the proper package. I do hate the smell of diesel and noise. newer models have really improved on the diesel noise. Just go with what you are ok with.

8. packnrat

packnrat New Member

as for a gasoline a bigger motor is better.
    but avoid the V10 very poor milage.
    most anything between a 350 ci up to a chevy 454ci.
    never try and use a six, straight or V.