Black Water leve at 1/3 full even when empty?

csmithtrw

We made our first trip out last weekend with the new camper. We monitored the water levels pretty close to try and figure out our usages. When we were leaving we stopped and emtied both gray and black tanks. However after that I checked the sensor module and it still showed the black tank 1/3 full. Is this typical? Can anything be done to make these tank sensor reliable?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks again

akjimny

Re: Black Water leve at 1/3 full even when empty?

Chris, you probably have a piece of toilet paper stuck to one of the sensors in the black tank. I have this problem occasionally because I use standard Scott one-ply tissue instead of that dollar a roll "RV" toilet paper.

The solution is to buy a tank flushing wand. If when you flush the toilet you can see directly into the holding tank, you can use the straight wand. If you have any bends in the pipes and can't see directly into the tan, get the wand with the flexible end.

Another trick is to fill the holding tank with water, drive around a bit to slosh it around, then dump. I have even heard of people putting RidX in their holding tanks to help dissolve stuff.

Always remember to wait until your black tank is at least 2/3rd's full before emptying. Hope this helps. :) :)