black water odor

G

RE: black water odor

First off .. welcome to the forums,, and yes add away ,, that is what the chems are for ,, to break down waste and toilet paper,, that way u don't have a mess when u go and dump ,, but one thing WATER ,, use alot of it in the black tank ,, that way u don't get anything dried up in there ,, and that is one thing u don't want to have happen ,, btw are u dry camping or what ???? ;) :) :) :)

first timer

Re: black water odor

we have electric, but that's all. so, which products do you recommend and how exactly am I going to do this application. we have to sleep in this camper for the rest of the week and I need to get a handle on the odor.

G

i myself use anytype of chemical that is safe ,, i myself use the type that has formaldahyde in it ,, but others don't like to use that type of product ,, but it's up to them ,,, i would chose a product that is easy to use and contain coconut oil ,, or any other seal lubricant ,, that way u'r seals and such don't dry out ,, are u close to a dump station ???? and also how full are u letting u'r black tank get ???
Post us back ,, and don't feel like u'r asking stupid questions ,, cause u aren't ,, all of us ,, and i Mean ALL ,, have had some kinda question like ur's at one time or another :approve: :approve: :)

first timer

ok...thanks. Here's the situation. We're camping at the fair, and we'll be able to get to a dump station at the end of the week. I guess we didn't realize that we needed to put the chemicals in the tank when we were filling the camper with water. So...in the mean time, it's been used primarliy for #1's, however, there was an instance of a #2...and now I don't even let anyone go into the restroom because of the odor when the toilet is flushed. At this rate, the tank will not get nearly full.

G

ok well that is the good part ,, only #1 ,, that means that u are getting some liquids in the tank ,,, but agian any product that u find for a good price will work ,, but stay away from the citrus types ,, they seem ,, not to control odors as well as the others ,,, what does u'r toilet manufactorer recomend ,, if u have the manual on it ???? but as i said go with a good product ,, even if it does seem pricy ,, and when u get ready to dump ,, there is a methed to that also ,, ,, not trying to push u away or anything ,, i am glad to walk u thru all u'r rv stuff ,, but if u do a search on black tank chemicals on here ,, u might be suprised at what u find out ,, if not like i said ,, i'll be glad to help u out ,, as others will :approve: :approve: :approve: :approve: ;) :) :)
Opps forgot ,, use alot of water in the tank ,, even though it's only being used for #1 ,, it does help :approve:

first timer

thanks. So if I stop by the store and pick up the liquid chemical or drop in tabs, do you think I should pre-dilute it like you would if you were adding them to an empty tank, or just drop it in and chase it with a bucket of water? I just don't want to create some type of crazy gas in the process... I think this camping thing is going to be more confusing that we thought. Are the chemicals you buy at Wal-Mart OK, or should I stop by the RV dealer?

G

yes just add the amount that is listed on the bottle ,, or just drop a pack in ,, if it's that type ,, and yes walmart has some good chems ,, but in u'r situation ,, i would get some from a dealer ,, thay have more of a selection ,, than WM does ,, and agian MAKE SURE ,, that u have alot of water ,, it wouldn't hurt to dump a 5 gallon bucket before adding chems ,, but be sure to keep an eye on how full u'r tank is getting ,, then judge from that point,, as to the amount of water to add ,, u don't want a half full tank ,, and still have the rest of the week to use it ,,, if u go to the rv dealer ,, tell them u'r stiuation,, and they can get u the best chems ,, for the price ,,,, :approve: :approve: :approve:
Btw ,, this is nothing as far as rving goes ,, it get crazyer the longer u do it ,, but u learn along the way ,, and as i said before ,, we ll have done something stupid or embarrasing at one point or another ,, it's part of the life style ;) ;) :approve: :approve: :approve: :blush:

first timer

great...thanks for your help. This will make the week much happier. Glad I logged on. I'm sure we'll have more questions as the summer progresses. Thanks again. Bye.

H2H1

Hello Kelly and welcome to the forum. Rod (730) is right on the money, follow his instructions and all will be ok. Like he said use a lot of water. Camping is a crazy experiance some bad and some good, just don't get discourage and happy camping :)

G

well Hollis ,, u think we'll here back on the odor guy ,, or was it a emrgency type post??? and then that's it from him ,, i may be wrong ,, but i hope he let's all know how everything came out (pun intended) :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: ;)

H2H1

Rod I don't know, I just hope he doesn't show up with the bad smell when we all get together :laugh: :laugh: if so put me far` way from him :laugh: :approve: :shy:

G

hey i want as far away from u as i can get also :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: ,, u know i'm just kidding u ,,, but the thought of all of us at the same rv park ,, and all together :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: