Black Water Tank Mishap

Thai

I am so embarrassed to post this but need HELP!!!

Tank backed up and over flowed toilet during clean out.
All cleaned up now of course BUT some flowed down in to the furnace vent on the floor.
Thought that with time it would dry up and the smell would diminish.

Not so......
The heat has been on for weeks and still the odour persists.
Today it is very hot and humid and the smell is just horrid coming up through the vents.

Any thoughts as to what I can do?

Thanks

Grandview Trailer Sa

Re: Black Water Tank Mishap

Thai,
Sorry you first post had to be on this subject, but Welcome.

Sounds to me your gonna have to get the ductwork replaced...Big job...sorry

rsssc

some heating repair shops offer duct cleaning and sanitizing. The waste may have gotten into the wood flooring and insulation, this will last for a while. Good luck, RB

Grandview Trailer Sa

The duct work in a camper is not made of stuff that is going to take much sanitizing. It is also small in size. Might be an option, but really don't think so.

Thai

OMG...replace the ductwork???
Surely there is some powder or crystals or something that we can put in the duct work to absorb the moisture and or the smell.
Surely we can not be the first ones that this has happened too???
Would love to hear from you if you have had this occur and share what you did to solve the issue?

Thanks to Kenneth and RSSSC for their replies.
I shudder to think of what this will cost to replace.
Anyone have an estimate?

Again, thanks

Thai

RE: Black Water Tank Mishap

Sorry that it has taken me so long to get back here with the results of our efforts.
First of all, we replaced the flexi duct work that was easily accesible from the basement.
This lead from the bathroom vent, where the crap went down, and in our mind was the major offender.
It was curled up and around and over everywhere and so when we replaced it we gave it a straight shot and let me tell you it sure is warmer in here!!

Looks like we were right in that assumption because the problem became 90% better having done that.

There was however a lingering odour that I just could not get out of my head whenever the furnace came on or the day was hot and muggy.
so today....there is a section of galvanized duct work that runs from the bathroom to the bedroom with no real way of replacing it unless we start tearing the rig apart!!!
I poured a strong disinfectant mixed in water right down the bedroom and bathroom vent and left it in there to soak.
Hubby then drained it out and the furnace has just been on....
Of course I am smelling disinfectant and I THINK still a tad bit of the poo, BUT am thinking that we may have just beat this thing.... :)

I want to take this time to thank everyone who offered any tid bit of info.
I read them all and was grateful that the board is here when a newbie like me needed it.
This is something that will never happen again, so live and learn I guess, but man what a horrible lesson....there has to be an easier way....lol.

Again, my thanks

C Nash

Couldn't have benn any worse that the rat that got up in the dash of our MH and died. What a odor. No way of finding him. Took weeks of airing and using all kinds of absorbing chemicals but all finally got well and we survived it.

Thai

There is still some lingering odor so can I ask you what absorbing chemicals you used?

C Nash

Find a local bug service or go online and goggle odors to find the name of chemical. I do not remember ofhand what it was called. I also used charcoal, cat litter and anything we could get our hands on. really think it boiled down to time and airing that actually got rid of the odor. Guess the absorbing compound helped some. If I remember the name I will post later. Mine was at least in warm weather where we could open the MH. Most sprays just cover the smell.

brodavid

I am glad that you got most of it, the rest may take time but it too will go away

Paul235

Thai

We used to be involved in dog trials and breeding bird dogs so we had a fair share of "accidents" around the house. We found a product called Odor Mute that had a dramatic effect on the odors. Its an enzyme type product without the chemical component of some other stuff. We bought it locally but I just found it by the good old Google search. It might just help. Good luck with it.