Boxes fifth wheels and sliders......thumbs

thumbs

I know we discussed this a bit before but I have to pick up my fifth wheel in a couple of weeks and would like to be prepaired.

You guys that haul fifth wheels:

I have Weather Guard crossbox tool boxes. They sit 7 1/2" off the top of the box are 21" wide. I have an 8'bed on my Dodge p/u W350 Cummins. It's stock but sits up pretty high. I am goin to have a Reese 16K hitch installed. The fifth wheel has an extended pin. I need to take tool boxes with me and want to leave then on the truck with and without the fifth wheel.

In your exp. do you think the fifth wheel will work with the cross boxes?

The other question is would a slider do me any good?

The third question is what are the pros and cons of a slider?

I am lookin into the Knaack Weather Guard chests that sit in the box and are below the box rails but they have a disadvantage or two. Might be harder to get to from the ground to get stuff in and out of. I don't like boxes that sit on the floor. I am afraid of water damage to either the truck, boxes and or tools in the box. I would put sit in on some blocks anyway. Also I can't put long pieces of material under the box if it's sittin on the floor. This would make my bed in effect a 6'. I would like to keep my crossbox but not at the expense of my new fifth wheel.

Gary

Souderton, Pa

C Nash

Thumbs, thank you need some "COUNSLING". (kind of a joke tween Thumbs and I) Don't think you will need the slider unless the tool box interfers. The extended hitch should take care of this. Really don't have any pros or cons on the slider. I had a slider on my 1500 chev short bed and never had to use. Kind of like a spare tire. If you have to use one time it's worth it. Brother-in-law has a Tundra and no slider and damaged the cap backing up. The 7-1/2 inch above your bed could present a problem. It would have not caused a problem on my 3500 dually but, it may sit lower than your Dodge. The dealer should be able to tell you how much clearance you will have between the trailer and bed. Seems like I heard somewhere 6in minumum. Most of the extended hitches are adjustable for height but, you want to stay level.

Chelse L. Nash
fulltimer03@yahoo.com

thumbs

Hey Chelse

That may be my problem, to much counsling.Nothin worse than a retired guidance counselor with a bit of time on their hands.

Anyway, on my way out this afternoon my wife spotted a chevy with cross boxes and a fifth wheel at a park. I cruised through the place and on the way out the owner came in. I asked him how things worked out with his boxes. He said he has been all over the country and never had a problem. He said he never even came close and he didn't have an extended pin. I know every setup is different but I'm gonna try er first. Those chests ain't cheap!! I guess the only way of really knowin is to hooker up have a look see. If push comes to shove I'll hooker up have a look and take the truck home and take the box off and go back and get the fiver. Problem is the dealer is 60 miles away. I think it's worth a try. If I had to bet knowin what I know now I think it's gonna be fine. Of course sayin that is probably the kiss of death.

Gary

Gary

Souderton, Pa

hertig

The only time you will have a problem, if you have any problem at all, is a real tight turn. It is likely that if you can get the trailer off the lot, you can get it home. In a large area, start backing the trailer and turning as sharply as possible. SLOWLY, watching all possible points of contact between truck and trailer (my pin box is so extended it actually touches the side rail before any other part even comes close). If the tool box gives you problems, than a slider may be a solution, or the lower tool box.

There is another problem that the toolbox can cause, and that is that you may not be able to see the hitch and pin while hooking up. I use a line down the middle of my tool box and pin box as a sight to get things lined up, and then have a bicycle mirror sticking up from my hitch handle as a 'flag' so I can see when the handle snaps out and back in (hitch latched).

wittmeba

quote:I have Weather Guard crossbox tool boxes. They sit 7 1/2" off the top of the box are 21" wide. I have an 8'bed on my Dodge p/u W350 Cummins. It's stock but sits up pretty high. I am goin to have a Reese 16K hitch installed. The fifth wheel has an extended pin. I need to take tool boxes with me and want to leave then on the truck with and without the fifth wheel.

Dont know if you have picked up your rig yet or not, but I personally think it is going to be a problem - unless your rig sits over 7 1/2" over the bed walls.

The slider hitch typically slides 10-11". So I would conclude even a slider wouldnt help.

Your hitch is probably mounted approx 50" from the cab wall. Your toolbox is 21" wide - that only leaves 29". That is less than a std short bed without a slider hitch which is usually about 38". Just my opinion.

thumbs

I guess it just goes to show every setup is different.

I picked up the fifth wheel about two weeks ago with the boxes on the truck. I figured if I had to I would go back home. 2hrs away take the box off and go back and get the rig. Well believe this or not it wasn't a problem. I was even able to back up the driveway that is on an incline and a sharp turn to get in without a problem. I was able,however, to move the boxes closer to the cab another 21/2 inches a couple of days later. Plan to take it out this weekend for a couple of days. This will be the shake down trip. I really don't expect any problems. I was sure glad to see it worked. Those boxes ain't cheap and the crossbox I have on it now is great for what I use it for.