Brake Job

IHRA5SEC

Just bought a 1989 Travelcraft 40" and I noticed the driver front brake is dragging (real bad). Being a drag race guy I know my way around cars but this is different or at least I think. Is this the same as changing a set of pads and caliper in my 1 ton truck ? Can I just go to my local RV shop and ask for the parts ? I almost feel like a fish out of water.... :eek: :eek:

Thanks
Ray

LEN

Re: Brake Job

More than likely after you know the chassis type then a truck parts or maybe just a regular auto parts store. Like all I pull down and take parts with me for a match at the store.

LEN

C Nash

Welcome to the forum Ray. Great to have another dragster here. you should have no problem changing the pads if you have the jacks and tools to remove the wheels. As Len said best to take old parts to the parts department. Most any major parts chain should have or be able to get them.

DoesIHRA5SECmean I have ran a 5 second 1/8 or 1/4 mile :laugh:
spacer.gif

G

Nash i think it is 1/8 mile since IHRA is mostly 1/8 mile stuff ,, but i would love to go up agianst him in the 1/4 mile ,, with my car :approve: :approve: :bleh: :bleh:

C Nash

But with the 1/8 mile it is a shorter distance back to the start line Rod. :laugh:

IHRA5SEC

With a 511 BBC on Alky I save my rebuild funds running 1/8 mile, and to be honest a 4.90 is not out of the question on a good day.. But as everything else in life I have retired from drag racing (At that level) and have a 63 Ford F100 that I am pro streeting with the rat rod look. Thats why I have gone back to the 40' money bucket. Thanks for the help guys, the front drives caliper is dragging and with your vote of confidence I will do this over the weekend. I just keep finding ways to spend my Navy retirement .... :laugh: :laugh:

C Nash

With the MH you want have any trouble spending the retirement Ray :laugh: Son has run a 4.86 in his Alky powered Chevette. Dial in at 5.86 is best though. Like you guess we are retired from the drag strip. Mine was a Regal with a Pont engine with time of 7.09. I was the slow guy. Just explained to the son that I was having 2 more seconds of fun than him :laugh:

IHRA5SEC

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I like that !!!! I had a 225" RED with the best of 4.92. That was more then fast enough for me. After 4 motors in 5 years I am done, the fun has run out :( :(

C Nash

Understand the fun running out. Just finished buffing and waxing the MH. At 70 yr old the fun is starting to wear out on the MH :laugh:

IHRA5SEC

Just got the front driver side apart :) :) Not good :( :( I think I got mis lead on this trade.. The pads were so bad the back side one was not only down to metal but the damn backing was bent from the piston pushing so hard on it. It got so hot the piston was BLUE :( :( The bearing were okay and the spindle was good but you could smell the burnt grease at the neighbors house. I am thinking of changing the caliper, pads and bearings. Hard to believe but the rotor looks great :question: :question: Cant wait to see this first repair bill, next will be the passenger side YEA !!!!!

IHRA5SEC

Good point... Bought the barts today for both sides ..... $125 not including rotors (they both look good... This stuff so a piece of cake so far.. Same as a regular vehicle Thanks guys ;) ;) ;)

IHRA5SEC

One more question..... After putting all new stuff on the new MONEY PIT I was on the driver side bleeding the brakes when I noticed what looked like a mini master cylinder mounted to what appeared to be the firewall. This thing had two small brake lines attached to it and a bleed screw at the top, I did notice it was leaking fluid from the top. Doeas anyone know what this thing is ?