brakemaster brake buddy wiring through firewall?

Discussion in 'Class A / Diesel Pushers' started by andercloyd, Oct 19, 2007.

1. andercloyd

andercloyd New Member

We just had our old Stowmaster tow bar installed on our new Mazda 2300 PU. We need to find a way to get the wiring for the Brakemaster from the cab into the engine compartment. It looks like drilling through the firewall is our only option. Does anyone know of a better way to wire through? Or any advice on safely breaching the firewall (hopefully without voiding our warranty)? Our previous tow vehicle was a Honda Accord, and there was a convenient fuse box that we could pass through.
    Thanks for any tips and advice. Especially from other Ranger or other 1/4 ton PU toads.

2. hertig

hertig Senior Member

Re: brakemaster brake buddy wiring through firewall?

Is there anything already going through the firewall? On my vehicles, I can usually find something, go through the existing gasket and seal with silicon.

3. Bush70

Bush70 New Member

normally you will find a plaace where wiring or cables etc. go through, however I did have a Hundai I had too drill. If that is the case it is no big deal just seal it after and you will be all set. Goodluck

4. andercloyd

andercloyd New Member

Thanks for your advice. Looks like drilling a hole is the only option. Nice to know it's not as big a deal as I thought, if I seal it afterwards. Just wondered if I was missing a magic trick somewhere, to avoid the new hole.
    Thanks for the help!

5. C Nash

C Nash Senior Member

If you drill a hole be sure there are no sharp edges that will cut into the wire. I generally drill the hole and insert a short piece of rubber hole to run the wire through and the seal. like other have said there should be a rubber grommet there somewhere that you could go through.