Breaking free of the old life

Al Wells

Okay...how do you do it? How do you get rid of the junk, memorabilia, tools, clothing, pictures, furniture and all the other entrapments of the old life to grasp hold of the new life that you as full-timers now enjoy? What did you decide to keep? Did you have a planned "route of escape" or have an estate sale and go cold turkey? I long for the freedom you enjoy, I just wish I knew how to escape the old life...

Al

ARCHER

Have a yard/garage/estate sale. What you don't sell or WANT TO SELL, rent a storage unit and store it until you give it to children/relatives/friends/etc. That way, if you decide that it's not the life you thought/wanted, you have some of your ole stuff to start out again. Make sure your ready to leave it all behind, cause if not, it will cost a lot to restore your ole lifestyle. Good Luck

SnowbirdInFlight

We've still got the house, but are going to sell it this year. We've already given the children so much they are like, "Please, no more!", lol.

The pics and the videos are the hardest. But, I just bought a VCR/DVD Recorder and will be transferring my many, many tapes over to DVD. All the pictures I take now are digital and I just put them on a CD. I'm going for a paperless trail, I mean world, ha ha.

What the kids don't want I will either sell or give to Salvation Army.

hertig

Snowbird, I saw an article recently which claimed that 'burned optical media' has a lifespan of 2 to 5 years (depending on the quality of the media and the temperature/brightness at which it is stored). Pressed disks (commercially made ones) would seem to be good 'forever'.

I'd suggest keeping the tapes in storage or some other form of backup.

Kirk

Al,

I suggest that you start the process by reading a couple of different books about full-time RV living. The two I would suggest are "Home is Where You Park It" and "Full-time RVing" but there are several other good ones. But they will give you a good general guide to what must be done.

Al Wells

Thanks Kirk! I'll do some research... I like Turnip42's suggestion...burn it all :)... but one man's garbage is another man's treasure and a lot of charities will be happy to haul in more 'junk' for distribution...

Al