Bumper Mounted Receivers

2old2sit

Does anyone use one of those receiver mounted platforms on a bolt-on receiver on a TT bumper? The kind you see on SUVs. I have a Jayco Eagle and it has a tubular steel bumper welded to the frame. I need somewhere to carry 2-2000W Honda generators. I have heard that you cannot put any load on an aluminum bumper, but is anyone doing this?

I don't want to manufacture something that attaches to the frame. I am trying to keep it simple, but I don't cherish the idea of dragging my generators for several hundred miles.

Grandview Trailer Sa

Re: Bumper Mounted Receivers

They actually make receivers that fit around your rear bumper. I would recommend using 2 and having your carrier modified. That is what I have done and have carried a EV3000 Honda just fine. A single tube off your carrier puts a LOT of stress on that thin and weak bumper.

2old2sit

RE: Bumper Mounted Receivers

So you would not recommend using just one of the bolt on receivers and the platform? I saw where the platforms were rated at 500#, but I would never attempt that. I just need someplace to carry the two generators.

Grandview Trailer Sa

With 1 receiver your platform will rock back and forth going down the road. 2 will stop that.

Your bumper is not really designed for this. With 1 receiver, a LOT of pressure is placed in that area and I have seen bumpers crack. For example, a 120lb woman puts about 1240 pounds of force on her 1/4" high heel. (Figures not exact, remembering from HS, but close I think.)

I recommend 2 attachment points.

2old2sit

RE: Bumper Mounted Receivers

Thanks for the input. I will tell the little woman that if she has to ride back there, wear flats!

Seriously, I did not think about the rocking effect. I knew that with a cantilevered impact loading there could be a lot of torsion on the bumper and create metal fatigue, and ultimately cracking.

I guess I will go to Plan B, whatever that is.

2old2sit

Kenneth:

I took your advice and bought two receivers, had 2 pieces of rectangular steel tubing cut and drilled and will use angle iron and 16 guage steel plate to make a small platform. This will support the platform in two places and as an added bonus, will place the weight closer to the bumper which will reduce stress on the bumper. Will let you know in about a week if this works. When will you have your next sale on Honda generators?