Bumps on my wall

krsmitty

About a month a go I started noticing these little bumps on one of my walls. Had it in for service a few weeks back and the repairman guy was calling it "Punkin". Says it caused when the wood under the wall paper has been wet. Not sure if I go along with that or not. There is no indication (water stains, discoloration) on the wall paper.

Anyone seen this before?

Attachments

• conv_163.jpg
    conv_163.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 0

H2H1

KEN is this under the paint on a fiberglass siding? I have the same thing going on on mine, but only in one color. I have been told it was the filter on the air tank for the painting gun. The filter was dirty and was not removing all the moisture in the air. And the moisture is trapt under the paint and it is trying to get out. I was told this by a fiberglass expert who repairs old corvettes. I hope this helps you under stand what it is. OH the only way to get rid of it is to sand and repaint.

krsmitty

H2H1;81360 said:
KEN is this under the paint on a fiberglass siding? I have the same thing going on on mine, but only in one color. I have been told it was the filter on the air tank for the painting gun. The filter was dirty and was not removing all the moisture in the air. And the moisture is trapt under the paint and it is trying to get out. I was told this by a fiberglass expert who repairs old corvettes. I hope this helps you under stand what it is. OH the only way to get rid of it is to sand and repaint.

Hollis...no, this is an inside wall.

krsmitty

The bumps start about 2 feet up from the floor. I am thinking that it may not be the roof, or the bumps would be higher up the wall? It is right in the very corner, about where the outside brake/turn signal is...ummgh. Guess I need to get the caulk gun out. What is the recommended type of caulk/sealant?

LEN

I've seen the wet wall down low and no damage above several times. Most of the time if you look at the roof above the wet area you will find a vent solar panel or something screwed to the roof. If the RV has a seem at the wet area or a side to roof seem these are the first places to look. Best bet is to just redo seem seal and every possibility of water entry. I have seen one where the leak came from the rear and was inside in the front and only happened when it rained going down the road, added pressure from wind by moving down the road.

LEN

krsmitty

Hopefully...found the problem. There is a strip that runs along the top of the side walls that hold the roof membrane down. There is a channel inside the strip, where the screws are, that was filling up with water at the back of the RV. The strip was installed in 2 pieces and just butted up against each other and a little caulk to seal the join. I believe water was getting in where the join was and getting into the channel and filling up in the last couple feet of the channel at the back of the RV. The water could not drain out, so eventually started leaking into the wall of the RV around the screws.

1. Put a lot more sealant around where the 2 strips join.
2. Took out the last 6 screws or so that had a lot of surface rust on them. Filled each of the holes with sealant, cleaned the screws up and screwed back in, and put sealant over the each of the screws.
3. The end of the strip was sealed up so that any water that got into the channel would fill up. Opened up the end of the channel a tad so that the water could drain out. But, hopefully there will not be any.

Heading out this weekend to see if the channel is dry.

JordanAllen76

krsmitty;81371 said:
The bumps start about 2 feet up from the floor. I am thinking that it may not be the roof, or the bumps would be higher up the wall? It is right in the very corner, about where the outside brake/turn signal is...ummgh. Guess I need to get the caulk gun out. What is the recommended type of caulk/sealant?

Home Depot or Lowes would carry something that would work.. There products are generally very RV friendly. I don't see how you would have a problem using caulk from here. Also if it was on the roof, Home Depot also has that tar developed for weatherproofing roofs.