Buying 5th wheel truck advice

Discussion in 'Towables' started by On the road, Jan 6, 2012.

1. On the road

On the road Junior Member

We are looking to trade our 2011 class c 21 foot (way to small) for a fifthe wheel and truck. Any suggestions? We like the Cardinal so far. Any reccomendation on a quality built fifth wheel? How about a truck for towing?
  2. krsmitty

krsmitty Senior Member

Welcome!. How long of a 5er are you looking into? What type of camping are you planning on doing; weekend, full time? There are smaller, lighter 5er's that are made to tow with 1/2 ton vehicles (F-150, 1500, etc). But, when you are ready to upgrade to a bigger (heavier) 5er you will need to upgrade your truck again. Go ahead and get at least a 3/4 (F-250, 2500, etc) ton truck now. IMHO diesel is the only way to go! Diesels are made to do one thing...Tow!
  3. Steve H

Steve H Senior Member

So much to choose from!! As krssmitty said, decide what kind of camping you intend to do, what your specific needs/likes with a floorplan, set a budget, and have a great adventure with the search.

Although there are many fine brands to choose from, I would be remiss if I did not recommend Heartland as I do have experience with them. So far we are pleased with both the product and the company.

If you can, go with a 1 ton srw and be done with truck worries. Dullies are nice but just not my preference.

Best Wishes in your quest!