buying a motorhome

Marc

I am looking to buy my first motorhome and was interested in what I should be looking for when I look at a used motorhome. I can not afford alot so I am looking in the low value older style. My wife and I want to spend for time with our two kids and thought this might be a good way.

tks, for any help Marc

Edited by - marc on Sep 09 2001 10:37:01 PM

C Nash

buying a motorhome

HI marc,
Great way to spend time with family. Some things I would look for;RV miles, soft spots in floor, walls, ceiling. Water leaks can cause serious structure damage Walk on the top of the RV. Is it solid? Look down the side, are they straight? Hook the rv up to electricity and water. Do all appliances work? Ck. all plumbing and don't forget the holding tanks. Ck the dash a/c. If it is the r12 unit and does not work, they are veryexpensive to repair. Crawl under the rv and look for any leaks, engine, trans, and rear end. Ck tires for weather cracking. Drive the rv and listen for any odd sounds, steering looseness, trans shift and breaking. If possible have a mechanic ck the rv. If you are a DIY person it will help. Don't buy the 1st rv you look at. Search and LOOOOOOOOK and look some more. Gook luck and happy camping.

Chelse L. Nash
fulltimer03@yahoo.com

Marc

buying a motorhome

quote:chelse, thanks for your help in what to look for when we look at rv's. tks, marc
HI marc,
Great way to spend time with family. Some things I would look for;RV miles, soft spots in floor, walls, ceiling. Water leaks can cause serious structure damage Walk on the top of the RV. Is it solid? Look down the side, are they straight? Hook the rv up to electricity and water. Do all appliances work? Ck. all plumbing and don't forget the holding tanks. Ck the dash a/c. If it is the r12 unit and does not work, they are veryexpensive to repair. Crawl under the rv and look for any leaks, engine, trans, and rear end. Ck tires for weather cracking. Drive the rv and listen for any odd sounds, steering looseness, trans shift and breaking. If possible have a mechanic ck the rv. If you are a DIY person it will help. Don't buy the 1st rv you look at. Search and LOOOOOOOOK and look some more. Gook luck and happy camping.

Chelse L. Nash
fulltimer03@yahoo.com

Snake

buying a motorhome

lokking for a used rig can take a long time...do not be in a hurry, and just because it is a fantastic deal and in your budget, don't let your enthusiasm run away with your pocketbook...look long and hard, the perfect deal is out there for you. Make sure that you check things like the refer, and freezer, toilet, and shower, look for any signs of water stains in carpet, floors, and ceilings, open cabinets and check for water stains, sometimes people will paint over stains, check the roof line for signs of silicon sealer or patch work If the seller is not willing to show you everything is in working order, be aware, remember he just wants to sell it...Finally, there are R.V. dealers all over who will perform a safety inspection, and check for any obvious or not so obvious problems for a fee...TAKE ADVANTAGE..it is well worth the money to find your problems then, and not 1000 miles away from home...Good Luck and Happy Trails