Buying a trailer

Shanna Knight

I am in the process of purchasing a used Coachmen Captiva 2006 model 265EX. On our walk thru we noticed that the plastic under belly to the trailer was falling down from where silver foil looking tape had been holding it up. The trailer is sold AS IS, so as soon as we leave the parking lot the dealer will not be responsible for any problems with it. When we pointed this plastic cover problem out to the salesman, he said he would take care of it. Upon our return we discovered that they had retaped the same plastic peice, screwed the sides in again, then painted the silver tape black along the seem that cuts the plastic under belly into two pieces. On either side of this seem the plastic sags, as a wet piece of cardboard would had it been screwed in instead. When we asked the salesman to replace the plastic underbelly, he said this is how it is suppose to look. He said the plastic piece is suppose to come in sections, and be taped in. Is that accurate? He also said that the sagging is normal, and new Captivas are already sagging? Should we continue to urge the replacement of this piece?
Thank you for your help.

TexasClodhopper

Re: Buying a trailer

What I would do is tear this open and look in there with a flashlight to see what might be going on in there.

H2H1

well Tex has a good suggestion, but I would walk away. I think you will always be wandering if that was the correct fix or a cover up, and if it is a cover up what lies ahead for repairs

Grandview Trailer Sa

Tex and Hollis are both right.

You need to see why they were in there in the first place. What you are looking is a plastic covering that most manufactures use as an underbelly. Your dealer is not right that it comes in sections. At least I have never seen it installed that way. Usually one piece front to back, although some have a break under the slide mechanism. It will NOT be sealed with aluminum tape.

rjf7g

Shanna-
You want a dealer you can trust (Kenneth at Grandview Trailer Sales is MY dealer) and if you doubt for a minute whether or not they are feeding you a line, find another dealer (like Kenneth).

*scooter*

Shanna, my 2 cents: Above my post is some of the best information you can get and in my opinion well respected. Give it serious consideration before buying, because as you said, once of the lot....you bought the good and inherited the bad which will be your thorn.

brodavid

If looks like something is wrong and the salesman says this is normal, turn 180 degress and leave faster than you arrived.

Darlin

Shanna

Welcome to your new family. We will tell you the truth even if it is not what you want to hear. This DREAM can turn into a NIGHTMARE really fast.

My opinion is RUN don't Walk away. There are many deals out there to be found.

Darlin :cool: