Buying for the first time!

Kemmo

I am new to RVing and are looking to buy a new 30' fifth wheel. I have looked a lot on line at all the different brands and models and have been to a few dealers in my area (Southern California). I have narrowed my purchase to either a Fleetwood Prowler, Jayco Eagle Super Lite or a Forest River Wildcat. Looking to spend around 30-35. They all have about the same options and extras. Not sure what is really needed on a fifth wheel or what you would really need as an extra. For now, there is just me and my wife (kids later). I was wondering if anybody has had a good or bad experience with these brands that could help me out. I have also looked at buying from a wholesaler from out of state, but not sure if that is a good idea. Thanks for everyones help with this. :)

rjf7g

Re: Buying for the first time!

Kenneth from GTS will help you out. Heck, he is so good he might convince you to travel from the left coast to buy one from him in beautiful Bedford, VA. Seriously, look at the Gulfstream brands as well. They get bashed for poor quality on some of the forums, but mostly by people who have never owned one. I have had a GS trailer now for almost two full seasons and have been pleased.

C Nash

Welcome to the forum Russ. Do a search on the brands here on the forum and you will see that some have really had problems. Just remember most is opinions but it's something to really look at and do your homework. Have you looked into the Sunnybrook line? Montanas from Keystone also seem to have a good rep but have been hearing neg reports on Keystone products lately.

jetboat

RE: Buying for the first time!

had a fleetwood product, never had any major problems.ahd a gulstream, pure trash!!! the side seperated from the frame within the warranty! look at the trailers they sent to the gulf. trash.a friend has the jayco eagle 5th,few minor everyday problems. we now have a forest river 32 bumper pull,againonly a couple problems that they handled. after talking to alot of rv'ers,they all have there ups and downs.aluma light also makes a pretty good trailer.all trailers follow riva standards, some just have a better monday morning staff than others.good luck.

C Nash

Don't compare the FIMA trailers to the regular rvs. They were built for a reason and most of them were abused. Like jetboat said they all have problems so be sure you buy from a dealer that you can depend on.

DL Rupper

Hey Kemmo, if you do a search and read the posts on Forest River Issues you might tend to think they have more than their share of problems too. We tend to say you should do lots of research on a product before buying.

Kirk

Like several others here, I strongly suggest that you avoid anything from Forest River. While they do have some satisfied customers, they have far too many who are not.

I would also suggest that since you are new you would be well advised to spend the money to join the RV Consumer Group and use the educational materials that they provide to their members. You will find them at: www.rv.org

C Nash

paras, I see that the sites you are recommending takes you to the website in your profile. is this another sneaky way to get free advertisements? If not welcome to the forum

TexasClodhopper

kapill and paras registered a few minutes apart.

Companies pay freelancers to go out onto Internet sites and put the companies web addresses into posts. They do this so Google and other search engines will index those company web sites higher up the list when you do a search.

The posters will read a bit on the forums they find, so the posts are not marked or obviously advertisements. The links they put into their posts really have nothing to do with them personally. They're just a way for them to make a buck or two.

There aren't going to be any of us true RVrs that will "advertise" someone else's web site in a post. Now, we might have a reference to something that is personal to us, but not true advertising.

The exception is a company that truly is an advertiser of RVUSA.com and supports these forums. Ken, GTS, Grandview Trailer Sales comes to mind as an example of a supporter of the forums and an advertiser. I'm sorry to any others that I don't recall.

Anything else is just spamming us for the Google index scam and in my opinion should be locked out by the moderator, Cindy (cinnister).

C Nash

Where did paras go or did I post about him in the wrong place? Man, I'm really starting to lose it now. :eek: :dead:

elkhartjim

Man, I thought I'd lost it too. I was just catching up and couldn't figger out what ya'll were talking bout.

C Nash

Jim, I was begining to think I didn't know what I was talking about :laugh: