Buying new TV, final decission SRW or DRW

Soon to be retired

Banned Users
I have narrowed down my search for a new TV. I am going to order a 2011 Chevy 3500HD, Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4X4, w/ the LTZ package. My final decision is SRW or DRW. I would like some opinions based on the following:
-I will be towing a Montana 5th wheel (2955R)L, which will be fully loaded with a GVWR of 13,725#.
-We will be FT RVing, through out the states, Canada and Alaska
-I will be using the TV for some daily driving in NJ during November and December each year.
-When towing, it will be myself, DW and our dog
-I will be carrying 2 kayaks, a 250# gas scooter and 2 bikes on the TV
-The 2011 Chevy 3500 SRW has a GVWR of 11,000#, GCWR of 24,500#, a 5th wheel trailering rating of 16,800#, and a maximum payload of 4,268#
-The 2011 Chevy 3500 DRW has a GVWR of 13,000#, GCWR of 29,200#, a 5th wheel trailering rating of 21,100#, and a maximum payload of 5,905#
-The SRW TV has Hill Assist Start, Stabilitrak Electronic Stability Control (senses loss of lateral traction, understeer, and oversteer, and automatically adjusts brakes and engine torque), Trailer Sway Control (works with StabiliTrak, and senses trailer sway and automatically applies TV brakes and reduces engine power as necessary), and Automatic Locking Rear Differential. THE DRW HAS NONE OF THESE AND RELIES ON THE DUAL WHEELS FOR CONTROL.
-Identically equipped DWR TV cost ~$250 less that SRW.
My questions are:
-Should I go with the SRW or DWR?
-When in the snow and not towing, is the SRW with the above listed stability/sway/traction controls, better than the DRW?
-What sort of MPG reduction is normal with DRW (towing and non-towing)?
-Is there anything else I'm not considering?
I have talked to a number of dealers, but they are clueless.
Ideally I would like to go with the SRW, (better MPG, less tire cost, easier to drive when not towing, BUT I DON'T WANT TO MAKE A MISTAKE AND UNDER BUY.
All advise appreciated and welcome.

akjimny

Re: Buying new TV, final decission SRW or DRW

Hi Walt and welcome to the RVUSA forum. When I first saw the title to your post, I was thinking TV as in 42 inch plasma television set, not tow vehicle. Bur reading it I finally understood :laugh: :laugh: I currently drive a motor home but have had a travel trailer in the past. In my opinion, unless your trailer weight is approaching the GVWR of your tow vehicle, you would be better off with a single rear axle vs a dual rear axle. My motor home has dual rears and they are a pain in the posterior, especially when trying to check tire pressures and when mounting and dismounting them to rotate them. But again JMO. Others may chip in with their advice. Post back and let us know how it goes. :) :)

Eddielee

Re: Buying new TV, final decission SRW or DRW

My last TV was 25" with built in VCR - Oh, you meant "tow vehicle". Well, I would suggest the DRW. My last one was a GMC K3500 dually 4x4 diesel. You don't have to compromise as much with the load you're carrying/towing. Remember, you will load up both the truck and the trailer beyond what you think you've put in it. It is my opinion that the SRW version is nothing but a rebadged 3/4 ton rig.