Campervaning in the States

ling

Hi,
I am new to campervaning in the states. Is there free camping around; llike rest stops (in the OZ) where one can camp for free and not get chased away?
Thanks

Kirk

Some states allow overnight parking in their rest areas, some do not. Most will have signs that say no camping if it is prohibited. There are other places that it is OK to spend the night. Most Wal Mart stores allow you to spend the night in the parking lot. Many others will do the same, but you need to ask to be sure. There are also places in National Forests and in Bureau of Land Managment land where you can stop, as well as some states allow it along the beaches. Most truck stops will allow you to spend the night and many small towns allow it in the city parks. There are also books that you can buy that are guides to free sites.

ling

Hi Kirk,
Thanks. We have campervanned around in Oz and the UK. It's much
freeer (in terms for freedom) to do free camping. Is it safe to do it in the US?
Will it be cheaper to do rving or drive around in a car and stay at motels?
Thanks in advance.

hertig

RVs will cost twice to 5 times as much for gas than does a car, but since there are some places to stay for free, and campgrounds are often at least half the cost of motels, it probably can be done 'cheaper' in an RV. Depends on how far you go each day and how long you stay at each destination.

With Passport America, I just got back from a 6 week trip at an average of about $11.00 a night. If I didn't need electricity each night, would have been a lot less than that (stopping at rest stops and such when just overnighting). Also saved a bunch cooking/eating food in the trailer rather than eating in resturants.

Before I needed electrical gadgets to sleep, I stayed in rest stops/truck stops and the like with never a problem, except for once when a cattle truck pulled as close to me as he could get, and the side of my trailer was decorated with brown specks...