Can I haul a Camper Trailer with an SUV?

moooog

I have no experience with hauling campers, only stock trailers. We want to go on an in-state camping trip with our 3 small children and elderly mother. The trailer is quite old - a Wilderness "Wild Country" ball hitch trailer - I can't find any metal plates etc. indicating it's weight. It is 18 feet long, 20 feet with the hitch. I am unable to identify it to have any idea what it's weight is - I'm betting it is at least 40 years old. It has two propane bottles, stove, gas/electric fridge, a carrier RV a.c. unit I installed,and I hope to take our Honda 3000i Generator, so both of these add weightl. We have a 2005 Chevy Silverado 2500 with a 6.0 Vortec engine and heavy duty tires, and a 2006 Chevy Trailblazer EXT 4wd with all-weather tires and a GVWR of 6400 3200 front and 3400 rear, and a 4200 Vortec engine. These vehicles can tow from 4800 - 5800 depending on the axle ratio, I believe I requested the flatland transmission option. It has a GCWR of 10,000 - 11,000 depending again on the axle ratio. We have hauled a stock trailer with it, but I see no trailer brake controller like in our pickup? It's hitch doesn't look to be anything special, triangular with the 2 propane bottles and battery. My questions are - how can I estimate the weight of this trailer, what kind of braking does it have - it must have some sort of brakes?, and is it a non-starter to think about pulling it with the Trailblazer SUV? We will be cramped in the pickup, but if that is the only option, que sera sera. l'd really appreciate any advice.

moooog

Re: Can I haul a Camper Trailer with an SUV?

The Trailblazer EXT engine is an inline 6 4.2 liter LL6, 291 hp and 277 lb-ft of torque.

C Nash

Re: Can I haul a Camper Trailer with an SUV?

The brakes on the trailer should be electric but could have the surge brake system. Either will probably have to be serviced on a older rv. Best way to find the weight is load for camping and weigh at a certified scale. A lot of truck stops have these. Some coops have grain scales. The Trailblazer may handle it ok on mostly level ground but weighing the rv will be the only way to tell safetly. Welcome to the forum

WandaLust

RE: Can I haul a Camper Trailer with an SUV?

moooog - 8/2/2009 12:35 PM I have no experience with hauling campers, only stock trailers. We want to go on an in-state camping trip with our 3 small children and elderly mother. The trailer is quite old - a Wilderness "Wild Country" ball hitch trailer - I can't find any metal plates etc. indicating it's weight. It is 18 feet long, 20 feet with the hitch.....

Whether you can pull it or not I don't know.... I do know 6 people in a 18' trailer, 20' overall, is going to be extremely crowded. Our TT is 16' and quite cramped with only the 2 of us. We're talking about getting a slightly larger TT if we can find a good deal on a 20' one. Take along a blue-boy honey wagon also or make sure you get a site with sewer. :)