Can you travel down the road in a 5th wheel with the furnace on?

Mr Bill

Hello everyone!
Another newbie question. I will be leaving from northern Michigan on Monday traveling south to Texas and then on to Florida and it is cold here....-8 tonight .... when I leave I would like to put water in my fresh water tank to use on the road but being so cold I was wondering if I would be wise to leave my heat on while I travel..it is going to be in the 20's on monday and I plan on traveling far enough south so it isn't freezing before I stop. My system is winterized at this point with RV antifreeze. Any thoughts.

TexasClodhopper

Re: Can you travel down the road in a 5th wheel with the furnace on?

Bill, I would think you might have trouble keeping the furnace burning while moving. Then you would be depending on the automatic gas shutoff to keep your RV from filling up with gas without you knowing it.

However, depending on your model of fiver, the furnace might not keep the water tank warm enough while traveling to prevent some freezing anyway. Do you want to experiment?

You might think this way ... sooner or later you're going to have to refill that tank. Perhaps that first stop should be the first fill.

Besides, you just have to know that the water is so much better in Texas! :clown:

DL Rupper

Re: Can you travel down the road in a 5th wheel with the furnace on?

I wouldn't try it. We have been traveling down the road for 14 years and we winterize if it's below freezing. Who ever said RVing is easy? It's fun and full of new experiences, but it's often work. That's what keeps you young. Well that's what they claim. :laugh:

Mr Bill

RE: Can you travel down the road in a 5th wheel with the furnace on?

Thanks again for the good advice....I think I will keep it winterized and get some of that great Texas water when I get there!! :)