can you use protable generators in Wal Mart lots?

utmtman

Re: can you use protable generators in Wal Mart lots?

I would see no problem if they were the quiet type like the hondas.

Grandview Trailer Sa

Many wal marts are clamping down on people using their parking lots as campgrounds. You had better check with the manager before you set up camp.

The local WM has stopped ALL overnight parking.

C Nash

I see no problem as long as it's not disturbing others. Just use common sense and like Ken said get permission from the store manager before parking. Asking with a loaded buggy might help. :laugh:

brodavid

I agee , just stop and shop a little and before you checkout as a mamnger

DL Rupper

Gee I'm not sure if Wally World wants to turn their parking lots into a RV Park. I think running generators is pushing their hospitality to the RV'ers to its limit. Next someone will want to put out their slides and awnings. I think Walmart parking lots should be saved for emergency overnight parking only. JMO.

So far in 15 years RVing I've never had to use their parking lot other than to stop and buy a few necessities while passing by with the RV. I still like to know/feel that in an emergency I could probably stay the night. If the privilege is abused, we all lose.

C Nash

DL I have already seen rvs with awnings out and even lounge chairs out. :eek: Most Wally Worlds have huge lots and you can get far away and next to unpopulated area. I agree it should be only used for short rest period.

Grandview Trailer Sa

I have seen that too Chelse, that it why WM is putting the brakes on becoming campgounds. You said it, they have PARKING LOTS, not campsites.
I have also spent one night in a parking lot, but I got there at 1:00am and was gone by 6:00am.

PattiRon

Other sites report many Walmarts cutting back on overnights due to poor economy some ARE actually living in rvs and using Walmart as campgrounds. Overnighting there may be becoming a thing of the past. Then again never hurts to ask. And I agree, setting up a generator could be rubbing the old hospitality in their face.

Kirk

RE: can you use protable generators in Wal Mart lots?

I have to question the statement that Wal-Marts are shutting off overnight parking in their store lots? Perhaps a link to some such information source might be useful as we still see it done as often as ever and we find the policy to be the same as it has always been. To quote from the Wal-Mart website:Can I park my RV at a Wal-Mart store?
While we do not offer electrical service or accommodations typically necessary for RV customers, Wal-Mart values RV travelers and considers them among our best customers. Consequently, we do permit RV parking on our store lots as we are able. Permission to park is extended by individual store managers, based on availability of parking space and local laws. Please contact management in each store to ensure accommodations before parking your RV.
http://walmartstores.com/317.aspx

What has been happening is a continued effort on the part of some park owners with the assistance of ARVC(the largest park owner's association) to get local governments to outlaw such stays. We who own RVs can go a long way to stop that effort by avoiding parks who belong to the organization and by joining the Escapees RV Club in their efforts to protect the right of a store to allow use to spend a night on their lots. In the effort to do this they have developed a guide for etiquette when staying in a parking lot which has been endorsed by seven more RV clubs and associations. You can check that out by visiting their website at: http://www.escapees.com/BoondockingIssues.asp

USMC

Why does everyone stay in the Wal Mart parking lots? there are many little shopping areas with huge drives behind them for deliveries and much quieter than Wally World, why not try stopping at Kroger sometime or Piggley Wigley lol. ;)

Grandview Trailer Sa

Somewhere I saw a site that listed Wal Marts around the country and it showed the ones that allow overnight parking or not. The one in Bedford, does not. I think it was on: www.RVthereyet.com