cant\'t figure out generator power

thelmanj

I am new to rvs. bought a 1988 georgie boy cruise air ll. can't figure out how to switch motorhome to generator power. My generator runs, but electrical outlets don't seem to work. Is there some magical switch I need to hit so the power is switched over . :(

Quarlo

Re: cant\'t figure out generator power

I am new to RVs as well so take the following with a grain of salt ... When purchasing my 2001 Dutchmen I encountered the same problem. The seller noted that a similar problem had been addressed at some point in the past by toggling all circuit breakers. In our case, however, this did not result in any change and the seller had to take it to a generator repair company to fix the problem before I bought. AFAIK there is no "toggle to generator power" switch, but mine is a Class C, not an A. Hopefully someone can add more/definitive info and help you get your gen power back w/o a trip to a repair center (and possibly enlighten both of us on the operational particulars ;).

Q

brodavid

Welcome to the forum to you both, Debbie and Q,
give the group a few days and the answer most of the time comes thru

LEN

Welcome to both,
There are about three ways the gen power gets switched from shore power to the gen.
1. The shore power cord is plugged into a box that is gen power.
2. There is a switch in the breaker box that is shore power or gen power.
3. There is a switch over box that senses gen power and makes the switch.
The first two are a manual you must do it. The third is automated and will happen a couple minutes after the gen is started and stablizes.
Also check on the gen that the beakers are in the on position and on the inverter that the breakers there are also on.

LEN

Quarlo

Thanks for the kind welcomes - this is truly a friendly kinda place! Thanks also for the great info on "shore" power to generator interfaces. I've been told by the seller that mine is definitely manual and I hope to discover tomorrow what the problem is/was and begin my RVing life. Having just retired last month this was a bit of a "wild hair" that I indulged so I am running to catch up with all of the pertinent info and get familiar with the terms and systems. I surely don't mean to hijack your thread, thelmanj, but I'm bound to make some mistakes and was wondering if y'all know where I might read a sort of "RV Systems For Dummies" primer/overview? Most guides seem to be predicated on defining what you want and shopping for it - I sorta took care of that one right quick, didn't I?! :laugh:

Q

hamdave

LEN has it right. On most of the early units there is simply a power plug that you have to plug the cord into when on genny power. It is usually located in the same box where the cord is stored. My friends Tropical is done this way and his is a 1998, i believe. Mine has the third option and does it automatically for me. I have never seen the #2 option myself. cheers :)

thelmanj

thanks for the answers. I will check everything out tomorrow. I know I don't have a switch so I will check the other two out. Good luck Q! Hope I will be out on the road soon myself.

debbie :)

thelmanj

thanks len.
generator is working fine now. had to plug cord in. now working on fridge. freezer is getting cold but fridge doesnt seem to be getting cold. any ideas. i will check for level tomorrow.

debbie

G

Debbie ,, it takes the fridge anywhere from 24 to 48 hrs to get cold enough to really put food in it ,, give it time ,, and ck back with us ,, btw ,, if u have a fridge thermometer ,, ck the freezer temp ,, and the refer temp ,, the freezer should be anywhere from 13 to 0,, and the refer should ,, be in the range of 32 to 20 degrees ,, that is if u'r lucky ,, but give it time ,,, and post us back on what u find :approve: :approve: :)

thelmanj

fridge working fine. guess it just took time like you said.
thanks to everyone for all the help. taking rv out this weekend to try out. so if i have any problems after, i will let you know. keep fingers crossed.

debbie

Quarlo

I hope you have as much fun on your first trip as I just had. These RV thingys are way too cool! :cool:

Q

brodavid

hope you have fun and take care and welcome to the family

MSJ