Car Dolly

beachboy

Looking to buy a car dolly to tow behind my motorhome. Some questions.
1. How important to have the bed the vehicle sits on swivel?
2. I would think that fenders are a must.
3. I would like to have brakes, but I can buy a brake buddy as I want to use a tow bar eventually.
What else should I consider in a purchase?

Thanks

BTW, the expertise here is invaluable.

H2H1

Re: Car Dolly

Hi Wayne, I use a car dolly to tow my Honda Accord, I had one that did not have any braking on it and has served me well. I sold it and thought I was going to tow all 4 down, but it got real expensive for me to do, so I bought another one off ebay and completely re finished it. So I recommend you look on Ebay. There is a lot for sell that may be in your area. I would get one with electric or hydraulic brakes. Master tow is a good choice.

chief4-1

RE: Car Dolly

Beachboy: It is very important that the bed of your tow dolly swivels freely. I suggest you adjust the nut on the bed bolt down to where it is even with the bottom of the bolt. You should have a self locking nylon washer already in place. That will prevent the nut from coming off.
If the bed of the dolly is too tight, at some point in time when you mke a turn, the dolly bed will not return your vehcile to a straight position and you will be towing out of alignment.

Chief 4-1

utmtman

I have a tow dolly I bought three years ago from camping world and it has a swivel body. They have a slip pin that one puts in to pull the dolly empty and one pulls to let the body swivel when towing a car. I now have a car I can tow four down and I am thinking of selling the dolly when I get the money to buy a tow kit.

H2H1

Lee what is the name brand of your dolly? And if still have it next year PM me and let me know what you want for it. I have one now, but would like to update it. The one I have now is a 1996 Master Tow model and serves me WELL.