cargo carriers

rimshot

Howdy folks. I just got a 2007 24' Tioga class C motor home. I used to pull a 1976 Aristocrat Low Liner and loved it, but I've finally moved on up. I have a question I hope I can get some feedback on. I'd like to know the pros and cons of the cargo carriers that slide into the hitch receiver. I've found one on line that says it's rated to 500 lbs. The reason I'm interested in one of these is because we like to go camping at the beach here in California and you really can't gather firewood at any of the parks. I live out in the valley in the middle of almond country and we have more firewood than you can shake a stick at, therefore I want to bring some with me. Are these things safe? Any special features I should look for? Thanks for any replys. I'd also like to say how glad I am to have found this site. I belong to a fishing club/fourm out here in California, and I can't tell you who much I've learned there. I look forward to learning alot about RVing here....Thanks again.....rimshot

swindy4x4

Re: cargo carriers

hello .. i had kinda the same issue but later on found that alot of campgrounds near here (erie pa) won't allow you to bring your own firewood because of "bad bugs" hitching a ride in your wood and infecting their forest.. personally it sounds like a gimmick just to sell you their wood. you're going to burn it... i never heard of any bug that could live through that! oh .. and 500lbs. rating? thats alot o' wood .. happy trails :)

Triple E

Hey welcome rimshot. I always haul my own wood and have not been bothered yet for doing so. I have a set up like you are talking about. I have never weighed my load but I know it has been heavy. I guess as long as the front tires stay on the ground we are ok. :laugh: :laugh:

H2H1

well I carried my wood from Ga. to Tn and we burned it the CG burning pit. Not a word was said, also several other in our M&G did the same.

rimshot

I've never had a problem bringing my own firewood anywhere out here on the west coast. Because of all the almond orchards around here I either bring that, or alot of times I'll stop on the way and collect some. Many times I've found an area right off the road where they have been logging and most the time it's in the same forest I'm camping in...rimshot