carpet replacement

ram1z

I have a 3250 Rexhall with a single slide. I left the vent open during winter and now the floor is delaminating in the small section in front of the sink. I have wanted to remove the carpet for some time so it looks like that is now. Does anyone have experience with converting to a hardwood floor or Pergo type floor?
I'm interested in suggestions, tricks, gotchas, etc.
Thank you

waroland

RE: carpet replacement

We are in the process of replacing the floor covering in our 5er. We have the Hardwood installed in the kitchen/dining, it is solid Bruce Oak 5/16" Tongue & Grove purchased at The Home Depot. The color is Gunstock and it really looks nice against the naturel oak of the cabinets. The carpet is almost finished in the living area. :laugh:

brodavid

Re: carpet replacement

take your time, we have the rest of our lifes,
and I am planning on living a long time

outdoors4ever

Re: carpet replacement

there's no real tricks to this, i used to do this on the side, cutting the carpet out is the 1st step and this requires a lot of good quality razor blade, a straight edge and time. Most all rvs are built with the carpet under all cabinets and furniture so just pulling it up and out like a home is usually not possible. Once you have removed it the best flooring to use is the "floating" type of laminate, this will keep it from buckling. The thing to watch for is you are raising the floor height which may impede doors, either cabinet or interior from closing or opening properly. The other big thing to pay attention to is most all rv's are not even close to "square" anywhere in the interior so measuring every cut and sometime to make some card paper templates can save you from wasting expensive flooring on messed up cuts. Thats about it, good luck and be sure to buy some good quality knee pads.