Cat vs Cummins Diesel Engines

RonHr

Any:indecisiveness: opinions on Caterpillar diesel compared with a Cummins. We have heard that there are more problems with a Cat ... anyone have good or bad experiences with either engine??

Thanks!

C Nash

Cat parts seem to be a little more expensive than the cummins. I would not let it be a deal breaker. Both are good engines with good reputations. JMO

LEN

My son runs a fleet with all motors not just cat or cummins. He's says some develop problems others don't, it depends on the individual motor. Both if taken care of correctly will outlast the motorhome. A lot depends on the guyu sitting in the drivers seat, drive them within the operators manual and MODT of the time everything is fine. Most problem are operator error IE; not letting the motor become stable before shutdown(a good idle period) or over heating. Most of the motors won't let them heart themselves while driving as they have safety limits built in or warnings.
I started looking for the Cummins and ended up with the Cat and can't complain. If you are looking at a particular motor do a search on the model and see if there is a problem that should be addressed.

LEN

RonHr

Thanks Len, I certainly agree on following the operator's manual!
PS How do you like your HR Endeavor?

LEN

Ours has been a good rig, a few problems as they all do. Gets reasonable fuel MPG and has enough power for towing. You are always up grading TV's, lights(LEDS), small walkin carpets. But tha is just living in your home away from home.

LEN