cb antenna mount location

sawwood

Hi all -- I have an Itasca cambria on a Foer E450 chassis. The whole caoch is fiberglas - there is even a fiberglas deflector that covers the entire cab roof -- i.e. there is no place for a magnetic mount. So where do I install the cb antenna, what kin d of antenna works best etc.? Any help please!!!

sawwood

RE: cb antenna mount location

my typing is really off today. Of course it is a FORD e459, the "caoch" should be coach, and the "kin d" should be 'kind'. Please do not think less of me for my carelessness this am. Not enough caffeine yet.

utmtman

I bought a motor home that had that same problem. The entire body was fiberglassd material. After talking to several cb shops and others it was determined the only option I had was to drill a hole and mount the antenna on top or on the side of the RV. Since I did not wish to do that I sold the cb and decided to run without one for the first time since 1966. Miss it but have learn to live without it.

H2H1

Re: cb antenna mount location

Well I have the same problem, I can't get out and hear very little unless they are real close. I am thinking of remounting the antenna some where near the engine on the frame or somewhere that would make a good connection. I have a radio/cb combo antenna on the top of the fiberglass cab. But it is obvious it not working for the CB. Now if the remounting don't work I will scrap it and do with out it. :(

Triple E

I have never tried this and it might sound crazy, but, how about the ladder or maybe a window mount?

mdavis5855

Hi. I have an Itasca mh. I found one at camping world that mounts to a window. I think around 30 dollars. I mounted it to the bunk bed window over the cab. I put the cb on the dash in the center after routing the cable around the rear view mirror. Works fine.
Mike

TexasClodhopper

What you guys need is an antenna designed for a Corvertte or a marine antenna.

The problem is that your normal CB whip (with a load coil) is basically a 1/4 wave antenna and needs the metal chassis as a counterpoise (a network of wires or other conductors connected to the base of an antenna, used as a substitute for the ground connection).

Xlgcrplt

While in Florida, stop by the Mesa CB shop. I-75 exit 328 Wildwood behind the 75 chrome shop. Ask for Keith he is one of the best CB tech's in the country. He will straighten out ANY CB issues for you.

H2H1

Thanks, good info I will look him up if We head south to Florida on I-75

riverruby

Check out the 18 wheelers, dual antenna's mounted on the rear view mirrors and do not change the coax length. I think that 3' of the antenna has to be above the coach also.

WILLY3328

Check out http://www.firestik.com/
They manufacture several CB antennas that can be mounted just about anywhere. They require no "ground plane" (metal reflector around the base). I mounted one on the side of my class A, just above the drivers window. Just pay attention to the install instructions and DO NOT cut the extra cable off. It requires all 17 feet of cable to operate properly. More specific info here: http://www.firestik.com/Tech_Docs/CBs_&_RVs.htm
You can Google around for the best price - all the trucker supply stores sell them.