CB Radio or Cell Phone

thumbs

CB Radio or Cell Phone

Well your not compairing apples with apples. The uses for the cb are compleatly different than a cell phone. A cb radio is used for very short distance communications. Most of the time it's less than 5 miles but it can go much further under favorible weather conditions. It is only good to talk between cb radios. Most of the time these radio are used while traveling for information and road conditions.

A cell phone it like haveing a phone in your car. You can make phone calls all over the country for whatever you would normaly use you phone for. We use both.

The cb will not allow you to make phone calls and the cell phone will not allow you to talk to a cb.

HYH

Kirk

CB Radio or Cell Phone

As to the CB, it is of very little value. As a full-timer I rarely have my CB on since we don't care to listen to the rough language of the truckers and channel 19 where they are is the only one that has anyone to find out anything from.

We do use our cell phone as it is our only phone. We use it just like we used to use the home phone, except that we don't have wires to worry about.

Like the first post says, they are very different items. The only common thread between them is the fact that both are used to communicate. But to compare them would be rather like the comparing a pup-tent to a motorhome. Both can be used to camp in but...........

thumbs

CB Radio or Cell Phone

Has channel 13 come around as being the RV channel? I don't know if it is 13 but I read somewhere where they were trying to get an Rv channel. At least the language would be a bit better and the info would be more helpful.

Oleo

CB Radio or Cell Phone

I have a CB but no telephone. The truckers seem to know the road situation etc. but like post #2 says, their language leaves much to be desired.
Personally, I have a Ham License since 2 years ago and that is the only way to go. Now it is pretty easy to get the license; a 35 question test which has all the answers to in a study book, some time to take the test and one can be on the air in a matter of a few days. Reception and distance of transmission is unlimited. One can even make a phone call from this type of radio.
Something to consider.
Leon
Y2K Ford F250 & Nomad FW

hertig

CB Radio or Cell Phone

Yes, a 2 meter ham rig is a nice thing to have when travelling. However, reception and distance of transmission IS quite limited, as is what you can legally use it for. As entertainment, or between members of a caravan, it can be tops, but you still will want a cell phone to talk with the 'real' world.

Generally, with the ham antenna and power appropriate for a standard vehicle, 20 miles is about the best you can hope for with 2M and/or 70 cm, under ideal conditions. If you are within range of a repeater, than you might be able to extend your range to 40+ miles. Some, but not all, repeaters have the ability to make phone calls, and in many cases, this ability is limited to a particular group of people. Also, since the telephone call is being transmitted over the ham band, all ham regulations apply. Since business use is prohibited, it is possible that calling for a motel reservation could result in massive fines. Receiving a call via ham radio is impractical under most conditions.

There are other ham bands available which have substantually further range, but they may not be used without a more involved test than that mentioned above, are 'unreliable' due to a high dependance on weather conditions and do not (as far as I know) have the phone call capability. Besides, these bands generally are most effective when using a directional antenna, which is not practical while driving.

djgarcia

RE: CB Radio or Cell Phone

thumbs - 5/25/2003 7:08 PM

Has channel 13 come around as being the RV channel? I don't know if it is 13 but I read somewhere where they were trying to get an Rv channel. At least the language would be a bit better and the info would be more helpful.
Channel 13 was a good idea but it has never caught on. Use Ch. 17 on the west coast and Ch. 19 for the rest of the U.S.

Grandview Trailer Sa

Re: CB Radio or Cell Phone

Dug this up after almost 2 years since the last post and almost 6 years after it was started? I seriously doubt that the folks who started this will see it.

G

I agree ,, old school stuff ,,, :laugh: :laugh:

cwishert

I guess they don't look at the dates when the are trying to sneak in free advertising. :blackeye: :dead: :angry:

Lg4

Hey Oleo, my Dad was a ham years ago and I still have his old radio. Where do I get info to get my licence. Would be kind of neat to get on the air with his old radio. I think it is a Swan 5000. It's been stored since 1978.

Grandview Trailer Sa

Lg4, Again, look at the dates. Oleo posted that in May of 2003. I don't know the answer for sure, but I would contact the FCC. Maybe just do a general search on the internet for Ham Radio Licenses. I agree with you that you should use your Dad's radio!

hamdave

hertig - 5/30/2003 3:29 PM Yes, a 2 meter ham rig is a nice thing to have when travelling. However, reception and distance of transmission IS quite limited, as is what you can legally use it for. As entertainment, or between members of a caravan, it can be tops, but you still will want a cell phone to talk with the 'real' world. Generally, with the ham antenna and power appropriate for a standard vehicle, 20 miles is about the best you can hope for with 2M and/or 70 cm, under ideal conditions. If you are within range of a repeater, than you might be able to extend your range to 40+ miles. Some, but not all, repeaters have the ability to make phone calls, and in many cases, this ability is limited to a particular group of people. Also, since the telephone call is being transmitted over the ham band, all ham regulations apply. Since business use is prohibited, it is possible that calling for a motel reservation could result in massive fines. Receiving a call via ham radio is impractical under most conditions. There are other ham bands available which have substantually further range, but they may not be used without a more involved test than that mentioned above, are 'unreliable' due to a high dependance on weather conditions and do not (as far as I know) have the phone call capability. Besides, these bands generally are most effective when using a directional antenna, which is not practical while driving.

If you're referring to the HF bands, I have mine setup for on the road travel and use 20m most of the time. Range has always been over 500 miles in any direction and most of the time is over 1000mi. Requires a general class lic to use it on phone bands(ssb). Another 35 question exam element 3. I find it to be more reliable than 2m band simply because of distance. There are also standard 'nets' in use HF bands.

Sorry hertig, didn't realize this was so old!! my bad!! forgive me.

cheers

KD8W