Chalky roof on new to me travel trailer

rjf7g

I bought a 2006 Palomino Puma 27 FQ a few weeks ago and have been doing little things here and there to it, but I am ready to take on the roof now. The guy I bought it from was the second owner and he said he had the roof "treated" last year. When I get on the roof, there's a chalky substance that comes off on to my knees and hands. The roof on the Gulf Stream Ken and Linda at Grandview Trailer Sales sold me is a 10-year roof and still looks brand new 5 years in. So, I have no idea what to do to the Puma roof!

There are no signs of leaks and the membrane appears to be in good shape. I have walked the roof several times and only found one spot that needed a touch up of self-leveling lap sealant, and I had found that spot already in my pre-purchase inspection. I do not have the Owner's Manual but am going to poke around and see if I can download one from the Forest River website.

Thanks for any help!

Kenworth

I use Zep soap, I can't remember the number exactly, but I think it is called RoJo now. We have used it for years to wash semis, and it takes off oxidation. Last year my 1995 Sportsman was new to me, and I washed it with Zep, and had to change the water about 3-4 times, but finally got it clean.

Grandview Trailer Sa

Becky,
Chalking is a normal process with some rubber roofs. Glad the Innsbruck is not doing it but that is a different rubber from the Pumas. The Puma probably used EPDM and right this second I cant remember what Gulf Stream uses on the Travel Trailers. Wash it with the easiest soap that it takes to get it clean. Check the sealant front and back and around vents.

rjf7g

Thanks, Kenworth and Ken! I have inspected all of the caulking on the roof and with the exception of the spot I touched up already, it looks to be in good shape. I will be getting Ken to install a new awning in the next year or so as it was beaten pretty badly in the hail storm in March...which is one of the reasons I got a "hail of a deal" on the trailer!

Shorty

As Ken say easy soap, I have used Ivory dish over the years with no issues at all. Am about to paint my roof with a paint from Dicor made for their rubber roof. I have painted 2 other ones and both friends said the air didn't seem to kick on as much. Also, have puchased the 4" wide tape made for patching and once the seams were cleaned, I just taped where the sealant would normally go...no more re-sealing the joints
My 2 cents