changing air filter

davej

Have a 2002 Dutch Star DP, would like to(need to) change air filter and quite haven't figured out how to even get to it. It appears to be under the rear closet, does anyone know if the closet floor lifts out , or how to do this ??? really shouldn't be a $400. job, Iwould think........

flstskeith

Re: changing air filter

Not familiar with yours but mine is about a four hour task and i dont think any a- filter come up thru the foor trap. I actually have do disassemble the whole airbox assy off the intake tube and remove the box as a whole assy and then service the element.

davej

thanks Keith, I think you are right, four hours at least, may try it again when I get to a warmmer climate, I CAN SEE why people are switching to the new front eingine units for ease of maint...I thought I would hear from more do it yourselfers

dastout

RE: changing air filter

I have a 2001 dutchstar with a 300 Cat engine. Just had the coach serviced and the airfilter replaced. The mechanic told me that it was eaist to replace from inside under the floor board but he changed it form the outside because he did not want to get grease & dirt in the coach. It took him about 2 hours. The cost of the filter floored me. $ 180.00 plus tax. This does not help much I guess but it does indicate the filter can be relaced from inside or outside on my coach :)

H2H1

I guess that the price of owning a DP. I own a gasser and changing the oil is easy and fairly cheap if you do it yourself. But, there again you have more HP and pulling power than I do so it a trade off. good luck and be careful when under the MH.

davej

thanks for the info, dastout, maybe they put your air filter in a little different location, I can't possibly see how it could be done from the outside and you have to stand on your head to do it from inside, I'm still studying the problem, and yes thats close to what I was quoted for filter cost, not including labor...

C Nash

Sometimes I think the engineers just sit around and figure out how they can complicate what should be a simple job on a regular maintaince job :angry: :laugh:

G

u got that DAMN right ,, nash ,, i would love to pull one of those suit wearing guys in and ask them ,, HOW THE HELL do i get to this ,, but u know their response would be ,, "works on paper " :( ;) :laugh: :laugh:

C Nash

well I had an old mechanic tell me one time that He thought one of the engineers must have caught a mechanic in----with his wife