changing heater/ac motor

Bob F

Where can I locate and how to access the heater/ac motor to change on 1989-1990 Pace Arrow 28 foot, Chev chassis with 454? It howls when the dash heater/ac control is turned on. :)

hamdave

Re: changing heater/ac motor

I'm going to guess. If its a 454, and you have a 'P30' style chassis, look at the front of your engine area. On the upper left(facing the engine) you will probably see a large plastic cover with the A/C and heater hoses going into it. Your heater/ac motor is under that cover mounted on the firewall I think. When I recently worked on mine, I found that the motor was easier to get to on that side of the firewall after the cover removal. Unfortunately on mine, getting the cover off also required me to remove the entire headlight panel assembly. I have a Damon on a P32(P30) style chassis and this is what I have.

Good luck ,
cheers
;)

Bob F

Thank you Dave. This is a 20-year-old Class A on a P chassis and I see where the hoses go into a covered area. I will try to enter at that point. I appreciate your response.

Bob F
:)

Bob F

Howdy Dave, great idea but I have succeded in creating a nightmare for myself! I am still trying to get to the heater/ac motor. I have encountered an obstacle in form of a bolt and nut that holds the top portion of the hood hinge bracket. I cannot (thus far) remove the nut and bolt as the head end spins with removal effort and I have not found a way to get to the other end to secure it. Will continue trying as time allows me to work on it. If any one has another idea please respond. I really think this is the way in, I just have not accomplished it yet.

Bob F

:( :question:

hamdave

Sorry bout that nut/bolt. I didn't have to remove the hood cover, but I did have to grind off a couple of bolt nuts to release the old rusty bolts on the head light panel. Just take it easy and be carefule in what you do. Better to go slow and deliberate, good luck

cheers
;)

Bob F

RE: changing heater/ac motor

Dave: Thanks for your thoughts but check this out . . .My oh My . . . too soon old and too late schmart!!! For those do it yourselfers who are crazy enuf to change out a heater/ac motor on a 1989 P chassis, 454 Chev Class A motorhome I have great news for you. After some 5 hours over several days I got enuf parts off to see daylight and to see "back side" of some carpet. I went inside the MH, pulled some carpet loose in front of passenger seat and mercy me there was an access hole with the motor in plain view. Three (3) minutes total and I had the motor out showing it to my wife as I laughed at myself. I think I can put all the parts back in 2 to 3 hours with a neighbor helping me replace the hood. Life is great if you don't take it too seriously.

Bob F
:) :bleh: ;)

Bob F

Thanks BroDavid and family. -- A wise young sage, my eldest son (formerly a parts manager now a photographer) told me this morning, "Dad don't think of it as learning how to remove a blower motor, try to remember how NOT to go about it, that is the real lesson learned!" Of course by tomorrow I may not remember anyway.

Bob F
:)

brodavid

it goes with the learning part , the longer you live the more you learn, sometimes the same thing over and over and not remember that you learn it already