Chevy 454

Sean

Can anyone tell me basic tuning for this engine Its a carburated model from 1986 in a Georgie Boy encounter. Here in the UK, information like this is quite hard to get, as not many people have got a 7.4 ltr engine in there vechile

C Nash

Chevy 454

Hi Sean,
What year is the Georgia Boy? What info do you need? Timing, idle rpm, type plugs, dist spec advance and such?

Sean

Chevy 454

Hi Chelse. Its a 1986 model. Engine was replaced in 1995, I asume that the alternator, power steering pump ect. came off the old engine. Any information on how to get the best out of this enigine would be very helpful. Plug gap,timing,ect. At the moment I return 5.5 to 6 mpg on LPG. and 6.25 to 7 mpg on petrol(in the UK a Gallon is 4.54 litres).

C Nash

Chevy 454

Sean, I will look up the specs and get back with you.
Some problems with this engine were plug wires and exhaust manifold cracking. Some also had cranking problem when cranking that was cause by heat on the solnoid. They make a shield to install if it does not have one and you run into this condition. If you have to replace plug wires go with a good brand such as Mallory. Very expensive but worth it in the long run. Think the time set on 4 degree btdc and plugs gaped on 45 but this is from memory and about the only thing I can remember is that I forgot something. If I had to replace a manifold, exhaust, I would go with headers and dual exhaust. If it still has the quadjet carb change the fuel filter in the fuel inlet line at the carb. Be careful they strip easy. there should also be an inline filter somewhere on the frame between the tank and fuel pump. I think this model used the manual pump instead of the in tank electric.