Chevy 6.5 Hmmmmmmmmmmmm?

Poppa

Well I finally got a decent deal on a tow vehicle, a 1996 Chevy 3500 with a 6.5 diesel.
:clown:

Now is there anyone that has some tips on little things I need to watchout for as to maintenance or some way to get a little more umph without spending an arm and a leg;

Chelse I know you said shy away from the Chevy,

DL Rupper

Re: Chevy 6.5 Hmmmmmmmmmmmm?

Poppa, I would really think that one over. The old GM diesel from what I can remember, was a converted V-8 gasser. It didn't have a turbo and wasn't very powerful, or get very good of mileage, by today's diesel standards. The Duramax replacement for the 6.5 was designed by Izusu for GM, because the GM engineers didn't have much experience with diesels and Izusu made lots of commercial diesels for use in Japan/Europe. :( I may be wrong, but that's the way I remember it.

Grandview Trailer Sa

Sorry DL, your wrong. The 6.5 was not a converted engine and it did have a turbo. I had a 1992 and it was a great engine. The engine is not known for a lot of power, but it is a good engine. The biggest problem GM had with is was the fuel pump. There is one on the market now that is pretty good I hear.

Good luck with it Poppa

DL Rupper

Hey GTS, you know what they say about the memory when you get up in years. :eek: Thanks for the info. I'll try to remember for next time. :clown:
Sorry Poppa for the bum scoop. Sure did seem right as it came spewing out. :eek: :bleh: :laugh:

C Nash

Poppa, I owned the same year and Ken is correct it is not the old converted 350 olds engine that the earlier chevys had. It does have the turbo and it can be boosted up for more power. Pumps and forget at the time what the other little gadget that regulated the pump were prone for replacement ever 50 k or so. keeping the oil changed helps and I like the Lucas additive added with each change. Price of the chevy is a lot less than the Dodge or Ford in same years. The one I owned handled the 29ft Cougar 5th wheel great. Lot quieter than the Dodge and Ford and better ride IMO. Will not tow what the Ford or Dodge but generally will get better furl milage. Goggle a search on 6.5 chevy diesel and you will find a lot of info on modifacations. Lucas trans additive in the automatic trans will also help. Be sure you have a good transmission cooler. How many miles on the truck?

Poppa

Mileage is 97k. It belonged to the owner of the dealership here in Livingston. He used it to haul his cattle to sales a couple times a year.

I have heard and am trying to get good input on installing a larger exhaust and crossover to let it breath a little better. From past experience the more you modify an OEM design the more you are proned to have ahh S---- :dead: in the middle of no where.

Took the first high way trip solo (not pulling) at 60 mph and got 19 mpg which tickles the heck out of me :laugh:

If anyone has some good poop on the exhaust let me know.

C Nash

Poppa, the exhaust was ok as from the factory but, if you do any mods you will probably need to work on a free flowing exhaust. the mileage is nothing on the 6.5 if it has been properly serviced. Alternator and waterpump are about due. Has the pump ever been replaced? Keep clean fuel, air and oil filters.

DL Rupper

Thanks s.harrington, I don't feel as bad now that I know I wasn't totally wrong. I thought GM converted a gas to diesel somewhere along the line. :laugh:

rjann

RE: Chevy 6.5 Hmmmmmmmmmmmm?

Just FYI ... I had a 94 6.5 for about a year and a half. Hauled a truck camper with it. Power to spare. Great mileage.

But... $1,500 a year for the repairs to the fuel system finally made me get rid of it. I was told by expert mechanics I trust that there was no permanent fix for it.

When it ran it was wonderful. It would cut out and stop completely on the highway, and I lost all power steering and brakes, and I would throw it into neutral quickly and re-start it and it would run great for another 100 miles.