Chevy transmission question

ram1z

I have a '96 Rexhall with the 454 eng. The transmission went to 350 degrees on flat highway towing nothing in cruise control. This happened on 1 short trip and then the next trip I'll describe- I shifted down to D not OD, and it stayed there. Then when I hit the mountains, I pushed it hard and the temp went down to 160 degrees and stayed there until I parked. On the trip home, It never went over 160 degrees. Downhill, uphil, onthe freeway in D and OD - it never changed.

Do you suppose that a filter was plugged in the transmission and the hill torture test cleared it out?

C Nash

Re: Chevy transmission question

If the filter was plugged it would stay plugged. Hard to understand this one . Maybe a faulty guage? The trans may have been slipping but don't think it would have cured itself after running 350 degrees. Maybe a valve was sticking and it broke loose. If the guage is right the temp will probably raise its ugly head again and that will be bad. JMO

hamdave

RE: Chevy transmission question

If it is a 4L80/4L60 I think they have an internal modulator of some kind. I always take mine to an expert

on the chevy trannys and am not an expert on it. I would have it looked at though, If it doesn't happen again it

could have just been a faulty reading on the sensor.

cheers

Allison Expert

Re: Chevy transmission question

First off, I would get some kind of inferred thermometer so you can check the transmission temp to the gauge in the vehicle. If they are the same I would be inclined to say it could be a restricted cooler line or you may need to install a bigger or seperate trans cooler.