chip set

dennis1949

I have a 2001 3/4 ton dodge diesel with 62,000 miles on it. What are the pros and cons of putting a cihp set in it? Will this void the remaining warranty on the drive train? Will I see an increase in fuel milage? What are the hazards?

C Nash

Re: chip set

Dennis, there may be some dealers thatwill void the warranty due to the chip. I think most mfg will tell you it will void warranty if you ask them. Yes, you will see an oveall increase in performance and MPG. I know of no hazzard unless you abuse the extra performance and I guess it could harm the life of engine and drivetrain. jmo

DL Rupper

Make sure you don't try to tow with the maxium performance setting. That may strain the drivetrain if your tow a heavy trailer.

LEN

My son is running the Edge in his, which you can set what power you want from the cab in several stages. An EGT is mandatory so you don't burn the motor up and a new intake and tail pipe helps. This is not just a chip but a computer to run your motor and as long as you monitor what you are doing you are good to go. The nice thing is you can set for power in the hills and economy on the flat just by pushing a few buttons while on the move. But as others have said you must control the power as you can break things. As far as warranty alot depends on the dealer.

LEN

Gruffy

Is there a "chip" available for a 2001 Dodge??? If I remember correctly Southeast tried to sell me a turbo actuator and a cam for the fuel pump for my 2002 Dodge. The fuel control system was not "chippable"......

LEN

Yes here is one quick link to the Edge system I have seen. And upon looking I see at least one that has 5 programs with 5 sub programs. Looks like most are plug and play but as I said earlier and EGT in my opinion is a must to be able to watch your temps while using the system and if your are handy you can install it also.

http://www.thoroughbreddiesel.com/edge/programmers.htm

Good towing

LEN

Grandview Trailer Sa

Hypertech just came out with an "Economizer Programmer". It will increase mileage and power. I have one on order for a 2002 Dodge customer. I am anxious to see what it does for him.

Hypertech controls exhaust temps., so you don't have to add a bunch of gauges, and you can tow in the highest settings.