Choosing a Brake Controller

Adam

I love winter time, it's the time I update/modify/generally mess with my trailer for the upcoming towing season!(besides it keeps me out of my wives hair as she is doing her seasonal stuff) :) Gary B posted a link in the topic "Hitch Wiring" to Tekonsha website where I read about Tekonsha Prodigy brake controller and here I thought that having to readjust the output on my brake controller each time I changed from Highway/town/camp ground driving condition was just a fact of Towing a trailer. :disapprove:
My question for you all is, are there other brands out there to choose from? Do these self adjusting units work as good as the manufactures claim?

hertig

My first and only controller is a prodigy. It works just fine; I adjusted it before I left and then didn't touch it again on a 5000 mile trip.

Gary B

Hi Adam, the Prodigy is about the best currently available, Jordan also make a excellent unit in the same class, for years I used the Tekonsha Sentinel, it was their top of the line untill they came out with the Prodigy, and its an excellent controller. there is also Hayes Lemmerz, have no recent experince with them, theres Accu Power, Draw-tite & Powerstop to name a few, good luck in your hunt. :) :laugh: :approve:

Adam

:) Well it looks like the Tekonsha Prodigy is the unit of choice, so I started shopping for the unit. rjays performance had the best price at $117.99 plus $8.99 for the ford adapt harness, Which Camping World has agreed to pricematch plus give an additional 10% off for belonging to their pres. club. I have to say I am so glad I stumbled accross these boards, it is so nice to have this resource to turn to! You would never believe how many things I have bought on the recommendation of the sales person only to have the item not even come close to living up to its promo.

BarneyS

Hi Adam, I am using the Tekonsha Sentinel and am very pleased with its' operation. Doesn't seem to need readjusting all the time. I am sure you will like the Prodigy from everything I have heard and read. I am wondering what kind of controller you have been using up to this time?
Barney

Adam

:) My soon to be previous brake controll unit is a Drawtite Activator.

Adam

:question: Well I have been running with my new Tekonsha Prodigy for a while now and really like it. My question comes from setting the unit up, in the manual it states you should "squeeze the manual control and adjust the power control knob to set the power at 6.0, then tow the trailer to a dry level surface. Take the vehicle up to 25mph and reactivate the manual control. If the trailer wheels lock up, slightly reduce power, if the wheels turn freely increase power to a point just before lock up. I can't lock up my brakes!!! Even at full output (13) the trailer brakes don't lock up, it does stop aggressively, but no signs of a lock up. I have put about 1200 miles on this trailer, I adjusted the brakes so they were slightly rubbing with in the drums, activated them and then rechecked my adjustments. I called tech support at Tekonsha to inquire if there is something wrong and if there is some other setup/adjust procedure, they stated that some brakes won't achieve lockup and there is no other setup procedure for one that don't. So I am asking for someones wisdom who has been using the Prodigy. I just want to make sure if I get into a emergency braking situation I will have the the best brakes possible. Any thoughts out there. :)

Dayle1

There has been some discussion that having the brakes adjusted to tight actually reduces braking power because the magnet lever can't rotate the cam far enough. Try backing off the star wheels, sorry I can't remember how much, and see if this will get you closer to lockup.

klolsen

I just bought a new tow vehicle and wanted to upgrade my brake controller. I checked out several sources and all came up with Prodigy as being tops. Then I shopped around and found RJays.com to still be the cheapest at $106.99. Can't wait to get it set up and see if it lives up to it's rep.

thumbs

I just took my first trip with my Prodigy. Day and night over the old controller. The way I set it up was a bit different. I didn't want to lock the wheels so I started a bit light and worked up. I think my setting now is 5.7. The old controller was extreamly jerky. Jerked on then delayed and did the same when reliesed. I hardly feel the Prodigy if at all. I know it's workin but it's a great controller.

inthegym

Prodigy is the controller of choice. I originally had an Energizer II. It did just fine, but when I switched to the Prodigy, I could tell the difference. I have been over 3500 miles with it and when I got it set once, I haven't touched it sense. I think I'm at boost 2 and 7.3 or there abouts. I have made a couple of almost emergency stops and the rig stopped just like there wasn't a trailer behind me.
I bought mine from Truck Xpressions on the internet for $99. Got the wiring harness from Camping World and it took me about 5 minutes to install.